SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been thinking about side exit exhaust on my saab for a while and that post a little while back got me thinking, and i realized it wouldn't that hard. At work today all i could think about was how i would do it, so when home i got out my stock cat-back exhaust and went at it. It looks awsome and actually sounds good with just the stock resanator, just a bit louder than my original set up (3" from turbo to saab sport), but not as good as the saab sport at high rpms but better at idle and low rpms than the saab sport. I left the saab sport muffler on there to hopefully not attract to much attention during my trial period of deciding whether to keep it or not. Let me know what you think. Oh and i have a video of me driving with the windows down if you would like to hear it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
HAHA MINT!! i knew it was just a matter or time before someone with to much spare time and a mandrel bender went at it. i think that i would like a DUAL side exaust..... hmmmm maybe i should look into hat instead of the saab cat back haha

how about some more close up pictures or the side, and the underneath!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
Excellent!!!!....

If you keep it, just cut the pipe on the same angle as the body and it will be a sweet-looking ellipse...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Thats nice! I just put my side skirts from the catalog kit on and I'm now imagining punching a hole through them to put a pipe through! That would be cool!


Spoolin, do you really have access to a mandrel bender? Did you just trial and error a few stock pieces and cut them till they fit? More info please! I would like to custom fab my own dual exhaust. I have a buddy with a stick welder, it may work to tack pieces together untill I get the shape right, but I would definately need a mig to lay the seams down afterwards.

Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mandrel bender here. It was just me, a marker, an angle grinder, and a mig welder. The only exhaust pipe i used was stock section that has the center resanator. The stock pipe didnt look to great but i just used a wire wheel on my grinder and cleaned up the tip, it looked so good afterwards i was thinking about just clear coating it, but then i decided it would be to obvious then, and i didnt want that cause it is not quite legal here in VA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
innovative !

totally nuts ! ( i love it )

what about some evo or aero side skirts and have the pipe coming out through the plastic ?

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
That's definatly unique. I agree to cut that tip at an angle. It will make it look bigger from a distance and will flow better with the car. I see your nice new Vig interior too, looking good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Hey mark, if you leave I will look into taking your saab sport muffler off your hands and put a dual exhaust on mine. I was thinking since i will have the saab catalog kit painted soon, it wont be that hard to make another cutout for the exhaust. Just an idea, I know it was recently done but Im not sure if it was with the saab catalog kit or just the stock bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Spoolin900SE said:
No mandrel bender here. It was just me, a marker, an angle grinder, and a mig welder. The only exhaust pipe i used was stock section that has the center resanator. The stock pipe didnt look to great but i just used a wire wheel on my grinder and cleaned up the tip, it looked so good afterwards i was thinking about just clear coating it, but then i decided it would be to obvious then, and i didnt want that cause it is not quite legal here in VA.
Very nice, exactly what I want to do to put a dual exhaust on my NG. Just buy a bunch of pieces, and go to town. Thats how they used to do it on American Chopper!

Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Marks900SE said:
Hey mark, if you leave I will look into taking your saab sport muffler off your hands and put a dual exhaust on mine. I was thinking since i will have the saab catalog kit painted soon, it wont be that hard to make another cutout for the exhaust. Just an idea, I know it was recently done but Im not sure if it was with the saab catalog kit or just the stock bumper.
Mark, you and I are on the same page! I've already started, I'll let you know how it goes!





Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
HAHA Tboy thats great. Now what did you use to brace the cloth to shape before putting on the fiberglass? That was the only thing I wasnt sure the best way to do it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Marks900SE said:
HAHA Tboy thats great. Now what did you use to brace the cloth to shape before putting on the fiberglass? That was the only thing I wasnt sure the best way to do it was.

Mark, that mold is the underside of the bumper, or the part that you won't see once it is on the car. I don't really need it, but was experimenting first! What I did was used spray adhesive! I sprayed the back side of the bumper pretty well, and then just layed the mat on top of it. Then I mixed up my jelly, and lay it down. After the jelly hardened, I peeled the whole thing off. The jelly wont seep through the cloth unless you really try to push it through. The spray adhesive doesn't stick to the bumper either as its too smooth (goo gone will take the rest off)! Now so what I did next was take a similar mold on the side you WILL see, that is the outside of the bumper. Tomarrow, I hope to pick up some liquid resin (very thin like paint resin) and coat the cloth side. My plan is to coat that side and make it smooth, grease it up so nothing will stick to it, and then do this again on the other side! I will just cut a new hole, and since this fits on to the top of the bumper, I will clamp it down, and then from the back side (side you don't see) layer in some more mat and jelly. Finally, I can remove my outside mold and discard it, and then finish up the new cutout! We'll see if it actually works that way!

How much school do you have left and when will you be home?
Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Ive been done with school for 2 weeks now, but I am family home in CT. I will be going back to school home; what I now call home, for monday. So that picture is of the cloth gaining the shape of the opening over the stock opening. That makes more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Marks900SE said:
Ive been done with school for 2 weeks now, but I am family home in CT. I will be going back to school home; what I now call home, for monday. So that picture is of the cloth gaining the shape of the opening over the stock opening. That makes more sense.

You going back to summer school, or just back to hang?

Yeah, that is the cloth glued over the existing opening. the second is the jelly on top of it Here is how it turned out:



This was just a test, to see if it would work. I made the mold I will use last night, and I hopefully will get some work done on that today. I'll post more pics once I'm done.

Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Back to my house at school because my job is there that is alowing for this project of mine. Let me know how that turns out because I really want to looking to this.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top