SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I did a smart thing...

Last summer my wife and I found a '91 S Cvt last summer for our son, who bought it. I have had a lot of fun and success with fixing it up and mildly modding it (no more CELs! and it goes like <a Meat Loaf album>). This rekindled my desire to get back into Saabs. Unfortunately, we are now at least 100 miles from the nearest used parts or hands-on support and I sold most of my "big" tools and shop stuff when I got out of racing my 99.

Well, I found an abandoned '84 nearby (Saabs are extremely rare around here) and convinced the landowner to let me adopt it instead of sending it to the crusher. My son and I pulled it home, that was exciting with no brakes at all, and set to evaluate it. I kept within my $10 budget to get it running (spark plugs and HEET) after a couple of days tinkering, but I now am at a crossroads:

Keep it or let it go for parts?

The Good ;ol;:
160K mi, H engine runs without making any bad mech noises, 5-speed seems okay, body straight, minimal rust, interior fair, good glass (but dinged windshield).
The Not-So-Good :confused::
No title (abandoned vehicle slip), mangled/missing wiring in engine bay: the plastic clutch cover was lost and many wires got shredded by the flywheel including rad fan, thermoswitch and other important stuff in that nice big fat harness that includes fuel injection copper. With the messed-up wiring, the CIS doesn't work right (engine runs unpredictably, but has run well a couple of times), hatch has spoiler scars. Front brakes are practically unrecognizable from the rust (I doubt they're rebuildable). One caliper was hanging by a wire, dismounted from the car, no e-brake cables (ends popped off). Carpet is toast (oil-drenched in the back). Needs battery, tires & wheels (2 of the steelies are ruined). LH control arm bent.

It was pretty disgusting when we got it, but it's cleaning up well. I only have 2 Bentley 16-valve books now (love to trade for an 8-valve B. book) and memory to work from. I hotwired the rad fan to protect the engine, but cyls 3/4 mysteriously stopped firing.

Therein lies my quandry. I had hoped to get another '84 to use as an example to follow for repairing the wiring, but that did not happen (still looking). I have to go to Seattle for any parts, if they can be found. I am starting a car club at our high school; and it would be a good educational project, but Saabs are kinda irrelevant here :cry:.

What's the mother to do?

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Kind of sounds like it depends on how much space you have. To me it sounds like a reasonable parts car, but not really worth the effort to put on the road. If you've got the space to store it you could just wait for another 8 valve to come along.
And if you have lots and lots of space it sounds like a decent field car :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...or a really cool doghouse!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
When my 81 died we just put it a half mile back on the farm in some bushes and would sit back there and have a pint and watch the deer.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Of all the bad luck....

If memory serves, 1984 was the year of the incredible disintegrating wiring harness. Correct me if I'm wrong fellows.

The good: you've got some good bones there, especially if the transmission is solid.

The bad: this one is definitely your parts car.

If you want to continue on with this car, here is some good information for you on the electrical stuff:

http://townsendimports.com/Web/entry/tech_doc_systems.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
That was the '85 16 valves. A non turbo 8 valve has a very simple wiring harness.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one is destined for parts (near Seattle). Any takers? I'm willing to go cheep...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts