SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so as way of an introduction... (and, as usual, a bit long)

So. two weeks ago, I am rear ended on my motorcycle slowing down to make a right. Ignoring my blinkers, my hitting the brake lights, gentleman behind me is not paying attention. I was slowed to 15 mph, he was going 50 mph when he hit me. Fortunately, I am mostly OK. Badly bruised shoulder, tweaked ankle, concussion, and a slight break in the corner of a neck bone. Bike was totaled.

So... since I am not getting back on a bike until I am fully healed and insurance $ is settled, I had to take half the money I got from my motorcycle, and buy a car. At least until I can ride again in 4 months.

So.. long story short, I stumble across this 1989 White 900 Convertible on Craig's List. For 1100 bucks, 220,000 miles. Engine and auto tranny replaced 60,0000 miles ago, master cylinder replaced 4 months ago, new top. She has some quirks. Idles way too low. I am gonna try and look in to that tomorrow. The dash lights don't work. All the warning lights work, but I just can't see the speedo or other stuff at night. Maybe a fuse?? Who knows, lots to learn.

It has been such a strange and wonderful experience. When I saw it, I suddenly HAD to have it. This has been a tough year. Separated 11 months, my bike was one of the true joys I have had and it is gone. I had made as much peace as I could with the fact I would buy a cheap, boring cage until all is sorted out. (But That still kind of sucked) And then I saw the Saab and suddenly, it was like this is all gonna be OK. A convertible... Saab. (Used to own a convertible, have mourned my not having one often these past 6 years) I have had friends that owned Saabs, and always knew how good they were. But had never thought of owning one. But suddenly, it just seemed right.

In the 24 hours I had before I had to make a final decision, I found this forum. Read as much as I could (thank you for the buying guide), learned a bunch more about just how amazing Saabs are. have read 100's of reviews all over the web (and the gushing does start to sound a bit repetitive ;-> ). OK, I am gonna do this.

I know Saabs are expensive to work on. And I am kinda poor at the moment. And I don't really know just how many issues my Saab has, but..
I figure this. In 3 months, I should settle and have some extra cash. I will take it to the Saab guys then, and have them thoroughly go over, and tell me what needs to be done, what should get done, and stuff that probably will need to get done 6 - 12 months out. Even if I put a bunch of cash in then, I know I will get After that, I will get another 100,000 miles out her.

So, after going through all this in my head, I go and check out and make my final decision on the Saab today. As soon as I saw it, I knew she was perfect. I took a short test drive, but it wasn't until I had bought it and was driving back on the freeway that I finally understood WHY everyone is so amazed with this car. Even 18 years old, I have NEVER driven a car that felt so sure on the road. It was amazing experience, and my last car was a 2003 Nissan 350Z. Yet the Saab is something else. She is just SO solid. I can't believe I waited this long to finally understand why Saabs are so good.

So, as you can see, I really am hooked. I have MUCH to keep reading, and will eventually make use of the stupid questions thread. I did learn how to open the hood today. From what I have read today, EVERYONE here seems absolutely intent on sharing every bit of their knowledge. I have much to learn but can't wait to start. I think I will stick around for a while....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its so true ppl don't know how great these cars are until you own and drive one.

And welcome to Saabcentral there are alot of people with lots of experience with Saabs and most are happy to answer any question, just make sure you use the search option first and see what you come up with.

Oh and pics of your car would be nice too, lots of people like to see others cars me included:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are on the mend. Don't accept any settlement until you know how your neck is going to heal. Neck injuries do not heal well, I only have 75% mobility and constant pain that sometimes is very severe.

Now to the Saab. Go for it!! Before you buy, take it to somone who knows saabs and ask for their opinion. Worse case they tell you to bring it back and run away and you are only out $50.
Everybody has herd the same story "I had a saab and it was NOTHING BUT TROUBLE." If they are taken care of they are very reliable. If somebody who had no idea what they are dong monkeys with it, then yes, they are nothing but trouble. This is why you need to have it looked at. The older these cars get, the more they get messed up by people who do not know better. After you buy it, ask for advise through this forum on a local place to take it for service, or service it yourself with help from the forum. Parts are actually quite reasonable for the most part. Some of the problems you mention are quarky saab things. Every time I drive my Saab at night one of the two dash lights is out (never both, always one or the other). One quick flat handed slap on the top of the dash and it is back on. I've tried to fix it, then gave up, as it is not a problem (for me).
The C900 is a magnificent piece of art/machine and a blast to drive and- this one is a convertable!:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Sagedil! I'm new here too and I understand what you mean about your new (to you) Saab. I'm sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad to hear you're still here and able to walk/drive and hopefully ride again in the Spring.

I found my 1990 900S (hardtop w/ sunroof) on Nov. 21st this year from a friend who forwarded me a link locally for craigslist. A Russian grad student here at UNL who needed the $ to return home to the motherland (hopefully back soon to increase OUR GNP heheh!). It was a steal at $250 bucks. I called it my "New Tires with Saab Attached"!

Anyway, long story short is I'm smitten with the car. I think the folks on Saab Central are giving me great info. Good luck with your sweet convertible!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umm, too late for that. I just bought it. She seems strong, no smoke from the exhaust, no strange turbo noises... The exerts will check her in 3 months when I have money to fix what they find. Until then, my world is small and she won't get much use. I can walk to work. Once checked over and money spent, it will be spring and I will want to let he run with her top off.

My Saab has had 2 owners. The first was so meticulous, I got handed ALL her service records. the guy I bought it from wasn't that organized, but he has put a ton of money in to keep her running well. He clearly loved her, so I think she has always been well taken care of.

(Side note, I moved to NC from California 12 years ago. They guy I bought it from came from california 5 years ago. Somehow, it just made it seem meant to be. I am driving a car that has driven my favorite roads in California. I feel even more connected. )

dasander, you wrote that she is a "magnificent piece of art/machine" I can't believe you said that. That is what I always called my 350Z. That was why i had her and I obsessed a year on line before I could get her, even went to the auto show in NY to see the pre-production model. I think that is why I jst had to have the Saab. it is definitely true for them as well.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral!

Love the story (the the exception of the accident):suprised;

turbo convertibles are awsome.....I have one!:p We need pictures

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so tomorrow. First thing besides finding the dip stick and checking the oil. I will get some pictures.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
sagedil said:
Idles way too low.
If the idle's steady, it's probably a vac leak from somewhere. There's a rats nest of small bore vac hoses. Just get 3 or 4m of 3mm vac hose, and replace the lot one at a time. If the idle's a bit variable and slow to drop, then the idle air control needs a good clean out with carb cleaner. It's the round thing with a multiplug on top and a couple of larger bore hoses to the bottom, mounted next to the front corner of the valve cover.

The dash lights don't work. All the warning lights work, but I just can't see the speedo or other stuff at night. Maybe a fuse??
It'll either be the rheostat turned way down or the bulbs - if you take the speaker out of the dash top, you can reach them easily.

First thing besides finding the dip stick and checking the oil.
Heh - it's obvious when you figure it... Open the oil filler - the one with "MOTOR OIL" in big letters... The dipstick's on the underside of the cap.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
1) glad you made it through the accident - I've been nailed by a car while on a bike and know - it's not fun.
2) Saab's aren't expensive to work on - that's a myth. It CAN be expensive to have someone ELSE work on them for you - but parts are both reasonable and available. Eventually eeuroparts.com will become one of your best friends.
3) Saab's are also quite easy to work on - you'll want to invest in a Bentley manual for your model - it's sort of the Saaber Bible -
4) Enjoy, you lucky son of a gun - it's not a cage - it's a Saab!

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The accident sucked, but I figure that the old saying is true. Only two types of motorcycle riders...those that have been in an accident,and those that will. Figure I got mine in now so should be good to go.

Definitely NOT a cage (though the top suddenly stopped working this morning, sigh)

The Bently has been added to my Christmas list. I am NOT much for tinkering with cars historically. I never changed my own oil until the bike. But I want to learn and this forum is an incredible resource. So time for some new directions in my life I say.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Definitely NOT a cage (though the top suddenly stopped working this morning, sigh)

Check the hydraulic fluid level--reservoir under the back seat.

Glad you are on the mend! I have come very close to being hit from behind, too. I use BRIGHT flashing red LED's tied to the brake light circuit on my bike. Mount under the rear lense. They seem to help.

We have two turbo verts--great cars! Enjoy your new ride!:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Welcome! :cool:

Handbrake has to be on for the top to work, saftey feature, makes sure you don't try to open it on the interstate. :p

Was it on?

There is also a valve in the trunk, if it should ever stop working and you need to open or shut it manually, you can open the valve then operate it by hand.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
dasander said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are on the mend. Don't accept any settlement until you know how your neck is going to heal. Neck injuries do not heal well, I only have 75% mobility and constant pain that sometimes is very severe.

Now to the Saab. Go for it!! Before you buy, take it to somone who knows saabs and ask for their opinion. Worse case they tell you to bring it back and run away and you are only out $50.
Everybody has herd the same story "I had a saab and it was NOTHING BUT TROUBLE." If they are taken care of they are very reliable. If somebody who had no idea what they are dong monkeys with it, then yes, they are nothing but trouble. This is why you need to have it looked at. The older these cars get, the more they get messed up by people who do not know better. After you buy it, ask for advise through this forum on a local place to take it for service, or service it yourself with help from the forum. Parts are actually quite reasonable for the most part. Some of the problems you mention are quarky saab things. Every time I drive my Saab at night one of the two dash lights is out (never both, always one or the other). One quick flat handed slap on the top of the dash and it is back on. I've tried to fix it, then gave up, as it is not a problem (for me).
The C900 is a magnificent piece of art/machine and a blast to drive and- this one is a convertable!:D
Take the left front speaker out and replace the dash bulb.Takes about 15 minutes.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone so much for the welcome. Makes me even happier I have a Saab now. Saab folks are just so cool and friendly.

Matt88s, I had a Mustang GT convert once, so know about the hand brake. It finally worked, and put the top down, hen would not work for a while. Finally, just before I was resolved that I would be cold tonight coming home, it worked again. I did NOT know about the valve in the trunk, very good info should need it.

SaabMon, Someone else also posted about getting to the bulbs from the speaker, I should have a bit of time tomorrow, maybe I can et some bulbs and get to it. if not, will have to wait until Monday, but thanks for the tip.

I'm hoping to add the Bently to my Christmas list. Until then, I will limp along with help from everyone here.
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1114351", true);

·
4,637 Posts
sagedil said:
Matt88s, I had a Mustang GT convert once, so know about the hand brake. It finally worked, and put the top down, hen would not work for a while. Finally, just before I was resolved that I would be cold tonight coming home, it worked again. I did NOT know about the valve in the trunk, very good info should need it.
This sounds like the switch or the relays are dirty. The switch you can open up carefully and clean and grease the contacts. The relays can be cleaned in similar fashion but replacement is probably the best bet there. On mine, sometimes pressing the switch all the way fails but if I press it almost all the way, the top runs.

My valve in the trunk was seized solid until I took out the whole hydraulic system to replace seals. I clamped it in a vice and freed it up...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts