SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 SS 9-3 with ONLY 18k miles. Still 'brand new.' The last month or so I noticed a clicking sound when I turn left. A bit more info:

-Making a slow (less than 5mph) 360 degree left turn there is a constant clicking sound 90% of the time.
-Making a slow right hand turn of a 360 it clicks maybe 20% of the time.
-Backing up into a turn (either left or right) there is a click about 20% of the time.
-Driving straight at lower speeds (40 mph or less) there is a modest vibration on the steering coloum, not so much at higher speeds (60 mph+).
-When braking the car does not drif to either right or left. Straight stop.

I live in Boston and the only thing I can pinpoint is hurling through a pot hole back in February. Since then, my mileage had dropped off. I also got an alignment at the stealership back in April, but this can't cause this clicking? Could a bad alignment cause this? If so, should I take it back to the dealership and hope they will fix as part of a 'side effect' of the alignment?

Anyway....I am in no way mechanically inclined and would absolutely F up my 9-3 if I tried fixing this on my own. Sounds like I need to get the CV joint replaced or just the boot? Can I just do the driver side CV joint or boot? How long would this take? I live in Boston MA and just the labor cost is about $75 hr.

Its FANTASTIC this happens after my no charge maintenance agreement goes up in smoke last December when Saab bit the dust.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
You would easily be able to tell if your axle is shot just by looking under the car, most of the time its not worth replacing just the boot... you can get a reman axle at any auto parts store

Could be ball joint, tie rod ends.... only one way to tell

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would easily be able to tell if your axle is shot just by looking under the car, most of the time its not worth replacing just the boot... you can get a reman axle at any auto parts store

Could be ball joint, tie rod ends.... only one way to tell
Can I see visible, obvious CV/Axel damage just looking..without jacking the car up?

·
Registered
436 Posts
cv boots tend to leak when punctured. Take the car to lift take a look for leaks and rips. Try moving hte wheels when on a lift. Things should be pretty tight with no wobble.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cliff Notes:

How much would it cost to replace the CV joint if need be? It cots $75 an hr in Boston for labor rate alone.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The boot? I was quoted 175$ but that was on VW passat 1.8T. If the joint is still good you could purchase your own cv boot and replace it for probably less than 100$ tools parts included.

Honestly your best bet is to ask around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts