SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy about that, but no one really had an answer as to when it needs to be changed. I have heard that you change it when it makes noise.
What type of noise does it make?
Are our engines interference or non-interference?

The reason I ask is because my buddies timing chain tensioner went at 100K, but he has no idea why or what they fixed. He just said "fix it"

Do I have a timing chain tensioner? I know there is one for the ACC belt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is a timing "belt" and it should be replaced at 60,000 miles. When is starts to make noise it is usually very close to a catastrophic failure.

SG

G

·
It is a chain and they normally last a long time. When they are worn or if the chain tensioner needs replacing, you'll hear an increasing rattling/chattering sound. From looking at the WIS, it appears the chain tensioner can easily be replaced without having to remove the timing cover so it should be a pretty easy procedure.

It is very unusual for a timing chain to break or wear out so pretty much the only thing you should be concerned about is the chain tensioner.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Wulf said:
It is very unusual for a timing chain to break or wear out so pretty much the only thing you should be concerned about is the chain tensioner.
Timing chains can and do wear out eventually. Ask any Jaguar XJ6 or VW VR6 owner! The VR6 timing chain in particular has a habit of failing at mileages as little as 70,000 miles...

However, things are better in the Saab! Although timing chains can start to get noisy at 100K miles + (some 9-5's I know of certainly required replacement at around 120K) it is often due to neglected oil changes.

So generally, yes, they last for a long, long time, and aren't replaced unless they become noisy.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for the info. Is there any interval on when the tensioner should be replaced, or should that just be done when the chain is done? around 100K?

Also, do we have interference motors, or non-interference?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts