SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a set of snow tires this winter since my all seasons are starting to wear past their snow rating. I've heard great things about Blizzaks but am also considering the Firestone Winterforce tires. Anyone have and recommendations on the two, or even other snow tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blizzaks!! Love them! Have used them on FWD cars and 2 wheel drive trucks. Going to be buying another set this winter for the gf's car.

Sent from my 9-3

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My suggestion is to get a second set of cheap alloy rims. Steel wheels flex.
And the wheels pay for themselves because of mounting and balancing costs and IMO hurt the tire bead with too many mountings and dismountings.

And while opinions differ I believed in going down one rim size. I went from 17" to 16" for winter. Tires are cheaper too and better contact patch, again my opinion. While I live in Tucson now I had snows for over 35 years in Chicago and Indiana winters

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Cheap used alloy rims can have tire sealing problems and in my experience this gets worse in cold weather, when the tires have a bit less pressure anyway. I would prefer a set of OEM (not aftermarket) steel rims, with Saab wheel covers.

I agree going with the smallest wheel and tallest tire.

The most trouble-free tires I have ever had are Michelin XIce Xi-2 that I had installed on Saab steel rims in 2011 and are still usable (6-7/32 tread left, no funny wear, still decently quiet) for this coming winter on my NG900. They may not have ultimate performance in any particular aspect, but they work in snow, on wet roads, and warmer dry pavement at high speeds during a warm snap.

I already have a set of 16" Saab steel rims with OEM wheel covers for my 9-5, after the 900 is retired in the spring of 2019.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Cheap used alloy rims can have tire sealing problems and in my experience this gets worse in cold weather, when the tires have a bit less pressure anyway. I would prefer a set of OEM (not aftermarket) steel rims, with Saab wheel covers.

Just the opposite experience for me. Had steel rims back in 1973 for a 99, they flexed and hub caps popped off in cold.

And I never had cheap alloy rims, I had a cheap set of SAAB 16" OEM alloys later for my 900/9-3s

And as far as tires having a bit less pressure in the cold, you are allowed to put air in them as the temps drop ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ended up going with the Blizzaks. Had one snow fall last season where they didn't plow my street for 24 hours and the snow was up just past the front lip, car drove through it with no problem. Just put them on for the second season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts