SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first winter with my 9-3 SE HOT - and I was wondering if anyone with the similar car give me a reccomendation as to which brand of snow tires to get. I am looking at either Gislaved, Nokian, or Pirelli. Anyone who has used any of these on their 9-3 i would appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
We have the Gislaved on our 99 9-3 convertible. I wanted my wife to have the very best on her car. Gotta' keep her safe. :cheesy:
Every day that she'd come home in a blizzard (REAL BAD winter last year) I'd say "Well? How was the drive home?"
"Fine"
She always said "fine".
Which means she never slipped or slid. Only once did her car, this entire past winter, slide on any snow.
The thing is a damn snowmobile in the snow! :cheesy:
I took it out 'to play' a few times and it got incredible traction.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have to admit that I cheaped out on tires for the winter. I wanted to spend my money on summer tires. I know somebody that has Nokian's on their 9-3 and I was always amazed at the traction he had. I'd follow him to school most days last winter and where I'd be spinning starting up he'd take right off. And cornering he was always faster too. But his car was stock, so my power advantage might have created some slipage. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
stay away from blizzak at all cost. they are all season with a thin coating of winter compound. drive 300 miles and you have useless all seasons.:roll:

NOKIAN NOKIAN NOKIAN

Nokian Hakkapelliita is where it's at!

In the huge snow storms I pass by 4 wheel drive SUV's who have pulled over because they have no traction!:eek: :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
How about for St. Louis, MO? We don't have horrible snows here but sometimes the roads are pretty slippery. I figured the Nokian's would be overkill... I was actually looking at getting some blizzack's, but I guess I won't now.. :)

Jerel

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Vulfinao said:
In your neck of the woods......Gislaved...Gislaved...Gislaved...;)
My first winter in CT I sirvived on my summer tires:eek: (16" Vikings), yeah wasnt smart but I drove smart aka avoided the snow. The second winter was on a set of 15" wheels and all season tires I picked up for about $100, those were a huge improvement especially since I had rid myself of the Vikings for my 17" TSWs.

Granted both those winters were done in CT when I lived there, but my dad puts the Blizzaks on his 9-5 come winter and absolutly loves thim. Hes a guy who had a toolbox in the trunk of his 400+hp Mustang in college to have traction while he was at school in Colorado. But any sort of snow only or with mild studs will be night and day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts