SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Gislaved Nordfrost 5's put on my 2009 XWD 9-3. I used 16" steels. Spacers needed to be installed on the front to clear the front callipers on the xwd. I have had the tires balanced and visually watched the balancer at 0.00.

The vibration is in the steering wheel only and it is moving from side to side. It seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason for why it is happening.

Does anyone know if this is something to do with the xwd system? It is definitely not the balance of the tire. They are perfect. Could I possibly need to put spacers on the back as well as the front so the offset matches.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
you have the proper bolt torque on all wheels?.......... 110Nm.

a torque tight excessive might be the cause of vibration on the steering wheel.

your wheels are the specified type for your car?

maybe needs to be adjusted by tech2 for your chassis setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes the bolts have been torqued correctly. The only problem with the torque is that the vibration would always be there. With a little more driving today I can tell you that it does go away at times completely. This is what leads me to believe it has to do with AWD system. Anyone else out there put snows on the XWD yet? If I could describe the feeling it is similar to what a 4wd truck feels like trying to turn it on dry pavement. But, only at certain times.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I am thinking it is the tires. Try balancing at a different shop. Their balancer may be out of spec. Snow tires can be less true than a good summer tire.
I doubt the spacers have anything to do with it unless they are loose and caused the wheels to go on slightly off centre.

By the way, how do you like your car. I am thinking I might replace mine with one like yours.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
We put Nordfrost 5's on a 2009 9-3 SC XWD a couple of weeks ago on Saab 5 spoke alloy rims ... no problem noted by either the customer or myself when test driving the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the exact same problem with a 2 year old set of Winter Blizzaks. The minor vibration comes and goes. There is no vibration at all with the summer wheels/tires installed.

The Blizzaks are actually at the shop right now being balanced.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Experience the slightest of tremors through the steering on my set up too (17 x 7.5 knock-off alloys with Michelin Alpin PA 3 snows). From about 125 km/hr to 145km/hr. Then it disappears :). Phenomenal performing tire otherwise (though I suspect there are equivalent quality/less expensive alternatives...).

No such vibration on the stock Turbo X wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I get the same come and go steering wheel vibration with summer 18's and BF Goodrich tires but nothing with the stock 16 and Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same situation with set of Blizzak Revo winter tires. Vibration in the steering wheel is sometime noticeable and sometime there is no vibration at all. The tires came balanced on the 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack. The summer tires on alloys are fine.

I would like to know if it is balancing or something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back to my tire shop today and had them try the same spacers that they had to put on the front on the back as well. Same thing. It didn't make a bit of difference. I have now resigned myself to putting 17" snows on my stock xwd rims. It wasn't ideal but I just can't justify the additional expense of larger aluminums for winter. And, I don't want to dedicate anymore time to the mystery science of what it could be. I spoke to my saab dealer and they said they have also had issues with steel wheels and that car and have not found an acceptable solution. So, it seems that snow rubber on the stock wheels is the answer. The tires come in on Wednesday and I should be able to get them installed on Thursday. I will let everyone know how that goes. I hope this is the end of it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just got a set of Gislaved Nordfrost 5's put on my 2009 XWD 9-3. I used 16" steels. Spacers needed to be installed on the front to clear the front callipers on the xwd. I have had the tires balanced and visually watched the balancer at 0.00.

The vibration is in the steering wheel only and it is moving from side to side. It seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason for why it is happening.

Does anyone know if this is something to do with the xwd system? It is definitely not the balance of the tire. They are perfect. Could I possibly need to put spacers on the back as well as the front so the offset matches.

Any help would be appreciated.
Oh man, steelies on such a pretty car :(

The post about improper balancing is very valid. Also keep in mind that steelies bend and take the rigors of spirited driving very poorly. Ask any
cop how ofter they get replaced.

Get a set of decent alloys from TireRack or another reputable shop for the love of SAABs please :)

And after all this bashing a compliment, i really like the exhaust tips on the XWD.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Look at TireRack for snows and alloys. Two years ago I got 16" 5 spoke alloys with Blizzak Revos for $775 US. I picked them up across the border. Great deal. They will install pressure sensors if you need them too.
Saves changing over tires 2 times/year at $100 each time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is the problem that I am having to deal with. The XWD has a different (larger) hub that has larger callipers on the brakes. It is not possible to fit any 16" wheel on this car. The stock 9-3 16" rim doesn't even fit on this car. I already have the 16" wheels that I needed to put on with the spacer which caused the vibration. If this works I may look at getting a different pair of 17" rims for next winter. By then there may be more choices that are reasonable.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I thought we established that it is not your spacers, but it is a common issue with snow tires to be out of balance at certain rpms. Anyway spacers are not desireable because they can put the tire too far outboard which affects geometry and can cause premature bearing failure.

When you say "pair" you really mean 4 wheels right? Running mismatched wheels and tires on an AWD car is a big NO NO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. I do mean 4. Basically, I had the 16" steels with snows on them. The spacers were required to clear the very large front callipers. Without them the rim couldn't even turn as they were on the callipers. My Saab dealer confirmed this. There aren't any 16" rims that will work on the XWD due to the hub size. So, I am supposed to get my 17" tires today and I will report back once they are on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts