SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the V6 Aero (or any Saab) require dedicated snow tires to drive well in snow? I have all-season performance tires on my FWD Acura, I've never been stuck so I guess they're ok but I can't pull into snow packed parking stall if it's on an incline. I would think Saab does fine in the snow since they're engineered/built/tested in Sweden. Right?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The Saab does great in the snow, and even better with dedicated snow tires. In most cases, you should be fine with all seasons, but if your going to be driving on a lot of unplowed roads, snow tires would be a good thing to have. I personally use Blizzak winter tires, and I haven't gotten stuck yet.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Does the V6 Aero (or any Saab) require dedicated snow tires to drive well in snow? I have all-season performance tires on my FWD Acura, I've never been stuck so I guess they're ok but I can't pull into snow packed parking stall if it's on an incline. I would think Saab does fine in the snow since they're engineered/built/tested in Sweden. Right?
Im switching to dedicated snow tires next year. But no its not needed. Snow driving really depends on the driver, as I have seen AWD cars stuck in the snow when my car did just fine (yes im pretty sure those people were from CA or TX). the only problem is ground clearance. as long as you are not pushing snow you should be fine. Saabs were also used as cop cars up in Aspen, CO (ski resort) http://http://www.saabhistory.com/2008/12/14/the-history-of-saab-police-cars-in-aspen-colorado/ So that might tell you a little something about how well Saabs do in the snow

·
Registered
683 Posts
I got through last winter here in RI w/ the OEM Michelin Pilot All Seasons, but my Aero has XWD. I live on a poorly plowed private road with some tricky terrain. No problem.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm running Pirelli P6 Four Seasons on the stock 17's and they are really very good on this car in the snow....

Sean

·
Registered
980 Posts
It all honesty, a 9-3 is probably comparable to your Acura in the snow. Don't expect a miracle just because it came from Sweden. I have no real problems with all-seasons with my 9-3SC, but like you say, for pulling into a snow packed parking stall on an incline you'll do better with real snow-tires. There are some FWD cars that are incredible in the snow with most any tire, cars like a Pontiac Bonneville for instance. The extra weight of an old-tech oversized engine over the drive wheels makes a big difference in the snow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll second the above post. My girlfriend's Pontiac Grand Prix GT is better in the snow due to the heavier front end; our car is very light (at least the 2.0T). This car is nothing special in the snow without winter tires and if you've got serious snow I would recommend going with snow tires. I'm from an area in Michigan that saw a couple hundred inches a year and am familiar with snow driving; if I still lived there I'd get snows (or go back to AWD). I had an impreza and saab 92x previously and the AWD is a huge difference in snow/slush when it comes to using only all-seasons. Now with much less snow...I love the gas mileage of the light FWD!

I currently have Bridgestone Potenza 960 pole positions and they're not that good in the snow on the 93, but great the rest of the time. Try it if you want, but if you deal at all with poor plowing or parking in unplowed spots or much snow in general, I'd say just get the snows. You'll be out the cost of some rims, but your AS tires will last that much longer due to using the snows so you're really not out much extra.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They get 85 days of snow/year in Sweden

Finland gets 105 and they don't make cars
Ice driving requires studs I'm sure they have laws about snow tires in those countries. I think the Saab is good in snow with all seasons for my area..but we have about 5 days of snow in southern NJ
The law http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r920/r920-006.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2008 Turbo X and used dedicated snows. The car ran as well in the snow as my Nissan pathfinder, it is quite impressive.

Without snows it did NOT go anywhere far or anywhere well in the snow but that was while equipped with P Zero summer tires!!

Don't know how it would have handled with all-season tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts