SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I removed the snorkus assembly. Its basically a big silencer shoved into the passenger side fender that connects the plastic ram air scoop to the air box. It disturbs the airflow to silence the sound.

A lot of Subaru guys like to do this just because it restricts air, but you sacrafice the quietness. You'll be able to hear the turbo spool pretty distinctly.

Pretty simple to remove:

First remove the plastic ram air, 2 (10mm) bolts up on radiator support.

You'll want to turn your wheel all the way right to give you the most room. You'll need it. I accidentally did it after the MAF was disconnected and had a check engine light. But it goes away after a while.

Remove the air box, first the clips for the top, disconnect the MAF, disconnect the hose clamp and any other hoses connected on the surface. Two bolts (12mm) at both sides of the bottom side of the airbox that hold it into the frame.

With both pieces out, you'll be able to see the two sides of the snorkus. There is one 10mm nut on a stud that sticks out of the fender wall. You'll need to remove that.

Now you have to get under the car and remove the 3 plastic clip things that hold the fender well cover on the bumper. Be gentle and take your time with a flathead screw driver

You should be able to pull the cover down now and see the huge snorkus. Now the tricky part is theres a 10mm nut up in the fender that you have to get to. It holds the snorkus in place. An open end wrench is good and a gear wrench ratcheting box wrench is easiest.

Once the two nuts are off, you can now start budging the snorkus down. Its going to take some work because of its odd shape. Squeeze it out the bottom and Voila, you have just performed a snorkelectomy!

Put everything back together and make sure you connect the MAF harness before turning the key or you will have a check engine light.

I'm not sure if anyones actually proven gains but it has to be less restrictive without it.

If you're cheap this is an easy one that takes about half hour to an hour.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Would you happen to have pictures?

I'd like to see all the placement of stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts