SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trying to pry the shifter ball off the top of the shift rod and ended up putting too much torque on the rod itself and something snapped underneath. Now the rod itself has play and can twist around. If I keep it in one place I can still shift fine but when it rotates, it won't shift properly.

What did I break? (again) :lol:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Was trying to pry the shifter ball off the top of the shift rod and ended up putting too much torque on the rod itself and something snapped underneath. Now the rod itself has play and can twist around. If I keep it in one place I can still shift fine but when it rotates, it won't shift properly.

What did I break? (again) :lol:
My WAG is you will find that when you take the shifter out, the shift ball will stay in the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
don't quite understand, Im talking about the actual shift rod / stalk inside the car...
Ya, me too. There's a ball at the bottom of it and sometimes if you crank, twist, push on the shifter too hard it snaps the stalk at the ball. If you remove the three Torx screws that hold the shifter in you'll see whether the ball has broken away from the bottom of the shifter stalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya, me too. There's a ball at the bottom of it and sometimes if you crank, twist, push on the shifter too hard it snaps the stalk at the ball. If you remove the three Torx screws that hold the shifter in you'll see whether the ball has broken away from the bottom of the shifter stalk
ahhh cool thanks scantar, is this an easy fix then? can I order that ball from eeuro or somewhere similar? (I didn't see the piece on there or saabsite)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
ahhh cool thanks scantar, is this an easy fix then? can I order that ball from eeuro or somewhere similar? (I didn't see the piece on there or saabsite)
Yours being a 92, the ball should be steel like the stalk is. It can be repaired with some deft use of a welder. Or you can get the whole thing from a boneyard for about $20 or so. Or you can go with one of Kurbads shorty shifter kits.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yours being a 92, the ball should be steel like the stalk is. It can be repaired with some deft use of a welder. Or you can get the whole thing from a boneyard for about $20 or so. Or you can go with one of Kurbads shorty shifter kits.
Yup the later models had issues with he rod breaking at the ball.
Have seen re welded ;ol;
I would not buy one until after a trip to the welder personally.....think they will fix you tpright up and getting harder to find at the yard ! !

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool thanks everyone, looked at the bentley and looks pretty straightforward. Definitely looks like the part is hard to find, so may try to find a local welder as recommended.

Ive been busy, so is there any danger in waiting a couple weeks and driving as is?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
The only 'danger' is that it might seperate completely(but not normally even if broken), so it does not work properly when you need it too.... hence its a walk home,:evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts