SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '88 convertible in for a service last week and she is driving really well :D, however my missus (who was following me home) said it was blowing a bit of smoke and could smell some oil burning, but I put it down to the service, and maybe just some spilt oil...

Then today, took her out, had the hood down and life is sweet, when I go to reverse into a parking lot and I thought the rear bumper was on fire :eek: lots of smoke and a strong oil burning smell!

Had a look on the forums, thinking that I need to replace the rings, but doing a search, some of you are suggesting it could be the turbo? How can I tell? She has *only* done 235000 ks.

Oh, got her home with no dramas, but she is still smoking, esp on acceleration. Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
is there any oil marks on the driveway, is the oil fill on properly. but if it's out the exhaust it is normally either turbo or rings, if it's happeneing all the time, if it's only on start up it would possibly be valve stem/seals, or turbo starting to wear?,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 16saabs,

Checked the oil filler cap (noted that she is a little overfull). My service report noted a leaking valve-cover gasket and the engine is a little oilier than usual on the exhaust side but certainly no *major* leaks.

The smoking seems to be there all the time, but more noticeable/significant once she is warm.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
well the sh1t hit the fan today as our 13th saab(now up to 24th)(wife 900S auto vert 100,000mls), decided it wanted to mix oil and water?? :cry: YES the headgasket has gone, white smoke(steam) out the back like anything , creamy oil on the dipstick, so that's a job for next week end as, she can drive the std auto 900 and i will go in my T16vert, lucky we have three between us. :cheesy: this car had always lost a bit of water over 17,000 but not hing to bother about as could see no leak, and did'nt matter if on long journey or short, just lost a bit 1/2pint max, but what checked regularly just in case, so was expected one day(3 1/2yrs) but why is it the the B****** jobs always go wrong in the winter, and i have no room in the garage. WHY, spare engine and box and too many spares to list LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Slight Smoke

I have just degreased the entire engine bay of my 900, and it looks hot. Trouble is, it is a little too hot. There is white oil-smelling smoke coming from just above the exhaust manifold, or under the head. The whole engine was caked in thick sludgey oil (uncaring previous owner) and both cv boots had splits and were leaking oil. I reckon some of the cv junk is clinging to the back of the exhaust manifold, or up under the head area.

How can I get up under the engine, does car have to be on hoist, or can I get to it from another angle.

If there is a leak here, what are the common faults, and how easy to repair gaskets, such as head and sump?

It was not a good day...all of this after replacing lock barrel and housing in car, then electric windows shorted out, then could not get seats back in, then finally packed up, and boot will not open. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
check that the oil is not coming from the bolt hole above manifold, for the bolt on rocker cover above the turbo end,? get that?:cheesy:
I put a new gasket on as I thought(was a bit) it was coming out the corner above manifold smell and smoke, so i put another one on with gasket sealant, and I was still getting oil drip on the manifold then i could see it was'nt leaking from gasket seal at all, but fom the base of the bolt hole in head for the corner rocker bolt cover, and although it had gasket seal on the oil was going down the bolt and out the bottom onto the manifold! what a bassa,took cover off put sealant allround bolt/hole and fixed it back in place and it still drips through the hole, never had it before and only happened after putting new gasket on when i did h/g change

1 - 6 of 6 Posts