SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1993 turbo vert is smoking bad at idle when its warm and the smoke is white and stinks(i dont know like what) and the smoke lingers in the air and doesnt dissapear until its way away from the car. i checked the throttle body and theres alot of oil in it. is it the turbo? and my car has a mistubishi TE05 right? thanks for all your help,
Mike

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
White smoke usually indicates coolant. Check for coolant in the oil and oil in teh coolant. Look for any mysterious 'mayo' substance round the dipstick. Any loss of coolant from the expansion tank? Does the car idle and run well? What does the temperature gauge show - any overheating? Sounds like it could be a blown head gasket. You could get a compression rtest done at a garage to know for sure. Do a search for more symptoms.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just put a FMIC from a 93 9000 and when i was putting everything on there was oil in the throttle body! i will to a compression test sunday night and will tell you how it goes.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Oil in the throttle body is not unusual. It gets very grubby in there. It is good practice to clean it out periodically with carb cleaner and WD40 as described here .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my car is not overheating and i did a compression test (cold) and all cylinders are about 110 and i looked at the turbo inlet and there is no shaft play but there is alot of oil so ive come to the conclusion that its not the valves or headgasket but the turbo so i am going to rebuild it. what do you guys think?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
You need to be able to balance the turbo. If your going to rebuild it you should use the correct equipment. Having said that you can get the job done by marking the position of the nut on the shaft and also the position of the compressor and turbine - if you do this then replace the seals only - keep all the rest of it the way it was. If you replace other bits you could end up knocking the thing off balance.

You should be able to find someone selling service kits for your turbo - personally it's not a job I'd be comfortable doing and further more I would make sure I sent it to the best turbo shop I could find - I'd would never cut corners or attempt DIY on this bit of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts