SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I just started noticing smoke on start-up which is starting to worry me. It only lasts for about 30 seconds then goes away. I was thinking it may just be some oil left in the exhaust, but it's happend twice now. I checked all of my fluids and they are all at the proper levels. The smoke has almost a gasy smell to it and is a grey color. HELP!!!:confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Smoke on start up usually means turbo seals are starting to go, oil seaps past them over night hence the smoke on start up. If your PCV pipework is in good shape its likely to be the turbo, they can go on like this for ages though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 3.0t and want to know if there are any turbo upgrades I can purchase instead of replacing it with a stock unit when I do finally have to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just started to get the smoke on startup this morning.

Im hoping it all goes away quietly :cheesy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
advice please for another smoker

Thanks Chris 95 for the clear diagnosis - though I could have cried when I read it. I only traded in my trusty 1993 9000cd for a 2000 95 about three months ago (a proud moment). Now lots of blue smoke on startup (after overnight or long workday parking). The poor car has only done 28,000km and is otherwise wonderful to drive.

Do you have any advice on what to do? Is it better to try to get it fixed now (I have some sort of shonky looking two year dealer warranty from the Saab dealer who sold it to me - though i don't hold out too much hope on this front), or should I just carry on driving and wait for the turbo to die? Having never had a turbo before I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Thanks
Kilgour

X

·
0 Posts
Hi kilgour, Welcome to Saab Central.:D

Sorry to read about the problem with your turbo, as you have read this is a problem many of us have suffered with. I think that that if you still have a warranty you should be straight back to the dealer and start stomping around. Alas this problem is not going to go away and you really should try to get it sorted. Has your car got a full service history? I would suggest that you have a look at the PCV pipes in your car to see if they have become squidgy as this leads to sludge build up that can cause turbo failure. You will find a ton of info on the site if you do a search. Let us know how you get on..:confused:

Finn :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've noticed this on the Saab I've inherited, but only after I switched to Mobil 1 5w-30. The car only has 19,000 miles on it, early for turbo failure. Of course, I've only owned the car for a about six weeks. When I drove the car in Alabama, after my dad passed away, there was no blue smoke on start-up. My fear is that Quaker State 10w-30, standard bulk oil was run in the car for about 1200 miles and damaged it. Still, even with dino oil in the car, it didn't blow blue smoke in the morning. Working in the auto business, I see new trucks with no miles (OK, 10 to 20 miles) on them also smoke on start-up after sitting. This includes gas and turbo diesels. In my mind, because I see this so often, the Saab doing it isn't a problem, except in my auto-hypochondriac mind.

While this may indeed be oil leaking past turbo seals, I was talking to a friend who used to drive and build race cars. Admittedly, he isn't a "Saab" guy, but he said to either change the oil to a different weight and see if the problem goes away or live with it (his opinion is that oil in the turbo isn't necessarily a bad thing). Problem is--I have to find a synthetic that is a heavier weight.

Right now, because this began with a change in oil, I'm leaning to this being a oil related problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Finn

Good advice. I will go back to the saab dealer. And I hate to reveal how little I know about modern cars, but how would I know a PCV pipe when I meet one? The engine is kind of the same as my old non turbo 9000. So I think I know where the turbo is (down by the exhaust manifold). Would i be right in guessing that the PCV pipe is a small hose heading into the turbo unit itself? A lot smaller than the air outlet from the turbo to the intake header, or the air intake to the turbo? Sorry to be slow.
Regards
Kilgour

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh and dads-saab

it makes a lot a sense to me that oil viscosity would have an impact on where the stuff could creep (or drip) into overnight. But on the other hand your car and mine have a common theme. If i read it correctly you have a 2001 with 19,000 miles (which i think is about 30,000km in kiwi measures) and i have a december 2000 car with 28,000km on the clock. So both of them have been used a bit less than the average car and may have mostly done short runs where they don't get properly warmed up. And yes - all this proves is that i am also a total and utter car hypochondriac (as all the best people are). I'm starting to regret trading in my old but utterly dependable saab 9000cd.
Kilgour

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kilgour said:
Would i be right in guessing that the PCV pipe is a small hose heading into the turbo unit itself? Kilgour
The main PCV pipes run down the back of the engine to the sump, check these for being mushy, they should be firm ;)

As for the 9000 I just had a 9000 Aero for two weeks as a loan car, I am so glad to get the 9-5 back, its like stepping into another decade...........and the 9-5's go round corners too :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts