SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a little problem and was hoping i would find some help here.

I know there have been previous threads covering smoke coming from the exhaust, but just want to make sure of the problem in my case.

Anyway upon start up of the motor I get a cloud of blueish smoke :eek:(I have also noticed that the engine doesn't start as easily as it used to i.e. it has to turn over longer), it dosnt happen every time and seems to be more due to acceleration (the smoke starts when the car starts to move) than the actual starting of the vehicle and disappears within 2-3 seconds.

Problem number two: Under hard acceleration the car jolts wildly (happens mostly in 2,3,4,5th gears unless above about 4000 rpm) when the gas pedal is floored or close to it. The sensation is almost as if someone were "fanning" the clutch, and if i keep my foot on the floor the check engine light goes on.

My suspicion , though i can't say that is an educated guess is that the turbo. :x
Any help on the subject would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

99' 9-5driver

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
A '99 is ten years old now... it wants some attention even at only 70k.

Have the head bolts been replaced/retorqued?
Do you have the latest PCV update installed?

Both these can cause excessive oil leakage/consumption.

How old are the spark plugs? How about the DI cassette? How long since the throttle body has been cleaned? Are you running at least 90 octane gas?

All these can cause erratic surging etc.

I would look after all this stuff before digging into the turbo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A '99 is ten years old now... it wants some attention even at only 70k.

Have the head bolts been replaced/retorqued?
Do you have the latest PCV update installed?

Both these can cause excessive oil leakage/consumption.

How old are the spark plugs? How about the DI cassette? How long since the throttle body has been cleaned? Are you running at least 90 octane gas?

All these can cause erratic surging etc.

I would look after all this stuff before digging into the turbo.
Thanks for the advice, i just bought the car 7 months ago so i dont realy know how old the spark plugs or DI cassette are, or when the throttle body was last cleaned.:cry:

I also don't know if the head bolts have been replaced or retorqued, how would i know if the PCV has been updated (are there any differences in looks, any ways to check?)?:confused:

I always run 92 octane.

Thanks
99' 9-5driver :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also how would i check to see of i need a new DI cassette, is there any wear or damage to look for, how do i know???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks a lot, my check engine light isnt on so i guess my cassette is fine, it looks as if i'm gonna need a new PCV though.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Thanks for the advice, i just bought the car 7 months ago so i dont realy know how old the spark plugs or DI cassette are, or when the throttle body was last cleaned.:cry:

I also don't know if the head bolts have been replaced or retorqued, how would i know if the PCV has been updated (are there any differences in looks, any ways to check?)?:confused:

I always run 92 octane.

Thanks
99' 9-5driver :)
http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/PCV/intro.asp?nsteps=2

Look at those pieces and see how they go together; I think the nipple directly off the filler tube is the most blatent change, but I could be very mistaken; I bought my 9-5 w/ the kit already installed.

Do the plugs regardless; Personally, I run the BCPR7ES11 copper plugs because they come to about $8.50 w/ tax for all 4, and I change them about every other oil change (6K to 9K miles) because they are cheap and I am tuned. Also, you can literally change plugs on this car in about 5 minutes.

Personally, since you just got it, I'd do a variant of the following:
new plugs
new / clean air filter
new vacuum lines (go silicone if you go this route; you need about 10 ft of line to do all of them)
Clean throttle body
Clean MAF sensor using MAF air sensor spray.
Tighten up all hose clamps that *will* need to be tightened.

Buying everything above will set you back , eh, maybe $50 (including a new air filter) and take 2-3 hours with a beer in your hand. Unplug the battery before you do all this, so when you get everything back together, the ECU will re-adapt to any vac leaks, the clean(er) MAF, etc.

I bet your car runs much nicer.

Cheers,
Benjamin

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
And macnoob beats me to the punch.
But I wrote more! ;)

EDIT: And the spark plug differences that we've listed are just the heat range. A 6 is a hotter plug than a 7 (in the NGK range). What this basically equates to is, how hard do you drive the car? If you may tend to romp on it now and then, throw the 7's in there, I don't see having any issue at all with them. If you run the 6's hard, you're more prone to get knock and other such issues.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Perhaps none of them; But I'd just poke about the engine bay and see if you need to 'snug' anything, etc.

The not really sarcastic answer, but sounds it is:
The ones that are a bit loose. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[QUOTE

new vacuum lines (go silicone if you go this route; you need about 10 ft of line to do all of them)

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at some vacuum lines now and they all seem to be different sizes (3.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm.....), do i 'need' a specific size, what do you recommend?

Thanks
99' 9-5 driver

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The ~ 10 ft length of stuff I ordered was 4mm and did all of my 'smaller' vaccum lines and isn't too tight to get on, and seems to be staying very nicely...

-Benjamin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just finished with cleaning the MAF and throttle body (full of black gunk) and putting in new plugs (the old ones looked as if they had been sitting at the bottom of a lake for decades, doubt they had ever been changed.), I put in a open air intake yesterday (I like the sound:D), havent gotten around to the vac lines yet but the car is already running like new. The surging has stopped completely, the throttle response is much quicker and crisper, and the car drives like a dream.

Many thanks for all the good advice fellas.

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
There ya go Max, well done, always start with the basics, Saab engineerd our cars very well but it cant complete with dirt in the TB or old plugs.......

Go enjoy it now ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts