SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... Next chapter in Ansgar's story:

she smells like gasoline inside.

traced the smell to the spot on top if the fuel tank where the fuel output and return lines are. I thought the lines themselves were leaking, but they're dry and I've still got a puddle. Any ideas how a puddle would be forming in there?

here's a pic:

I really needa get this fixed soon--gonna be takin her for a 2000 ish mile road trip in two weeks!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
traced the smell to the spot on top if the fuel tank where the fuel output and return lines are. I thought the lines themselves were leaking, but they're dry and I've still got a puddle. Any ideas how a puddle would be forming in there?
O-rings on the connections. Carefully pull the connections up to remove them, them you can pick the old O-rings off, and replace 'em with new.

here's a pic:

The link's to a Facebook page, not to an image file - and you need to be logged in to see it, anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Had the same problem. In my case I needed to change the gasket. This is the link to the gasket:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=4160511

You may need a special tool to open the Fuel pump lock ring. The tool can be made at home using a 5.5in X 5.5in X 0.75 inch of hard wood like maple and cutting a suitable notch in it. The tool can be purchased here:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8394462

Depending on if someone got into the fuel pump lock ring and knocked out some teeth, you may be able to purchase it here:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=4156550

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it stronger upon a full tank, and less upon a half tank or lower?
Does it occur right after fill up and dissipate?

Mine was stronger upon full tank and I found out my tank was actually cracked. This was found by staining on the top and left side of the tank and I understand this is more common on the '90 and newer models. I haven't fixed it yet, but upon low fuel light, I limit my fill-ups to 10 or 11 gallons to keep the smell at a minimum.

But do as others suggested first - check fuel pump O-Ring along with O-Rings on supply and return lines on top of pump.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the misfortune of having both (cracked gas tank and faulty O ring and damaged fuel pump lock ring). First it was a cracked tank which was fixed and then turned into a O ring and Fuel pump lock ring issue. The fuel pump lock ring and gasket issue happened because the mechanic who replaced my gas tank did not have the correct tool and used a hammer and a wooden punch to loosen and then tighten my fuel pump lock ring. So if you were to do the job yourselves or take it to a mechanic, make sure and appropriate tool is used.

Checking the supply and return lines and O-rings for those is a good idea.

Careful with removing the supply lines on the top of the fuel pump. The nipples are brittle and may break if you or the mechanic is not careful with removing the lines.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already replaced the o rings on the fittings, but it's still leaking. Must be the big o ring! Thanks guys, ima see what I can do about it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i checked out that site you posted for the o-ring. as if $9 for an o-ring wasn't already pretty ridiculous, they want $10 for shipping, saying the package weighs 1.1 pounds!

No, thank you. I'm not paying $18 for an o-ring right off the bat.

So... I removed the old o-ring, carefully cleaned out the grooves it fits in... i then slicked the o-ring up with some nice silicone, put it back in... I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then finished reassembling everything. I let the car sit as it was for about 24 hours... and NO MORE LEAKS!

take that, $18 o-ring. Free fix.

if it starts leaking again... I'll be ordering an $18 o-ring. but I sure won't if i don't have to :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Why buy an 18$ O-ring? It is just an O ring. It is a big O-ring so you don't get it in the "1000 O-rings for 5$" kits but just take a Vernier and measure diameter and diameter and get one from a hydraulic shop or whatever :p

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
Why buy an 18$ O-ring? It is just an O ring. It is a big O-ring so you don't get it in the "1000 O-rings for 5$" kits but just take a Vernier and measure diameter and diameter and get one from a hydraulic shop or whatever :p
The OEM O-Ring, like the ones on the Fuel Pump outlet and return fittings, are supposed to be single-use items because they swell in contact with gasoline. You can get away with re-using them sometimes, but often they cause trouble because they're enlarged.
I don't know specifically what kind of rubber they're made of, but generic O-Rings may not seal properly if they don't swell.

RTV Silicone sealer will not last very long in direct contact with gasoline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts