SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a fuel pump in (an old one out of a the parts car I have) and took a nice drive back to my apartment from my parents (a 3 hour drive). She drove beautifully and no funny smells. After a few hours of it sitting here, I was going to take a trip to the store and inside of the car smells like gas. I'm very hesitent to even start it up. I thought everything sealed up good with that fuel pump, could I be wrong? Is there something I forgot? or is something else going on?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Check the access cover as well. It can look like it's been put on correctly, but not sealed completely, and fumes can come up into the car through there.

My '90 has developed a problem with fumes after I fill up. Probably the filler neck, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
DanComden said:
My '90 has developed a problem with fumes after I fill up. Probably the filler neck, I'm guessing.
Yes, that little tube that carries the overfill from the cap area to the ground under the car. Mine had broken off. I'll bet that yours has, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '93 Saab and ever since I got, and also as reported from the previous owner, there is sometimes the smell of gas in the cabin especially when I have just filled up or the car has been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up taking it back apart to check things out. The part of the o-ring that goes around the sending unit was out of the track and it looked a little beat up anyway so put a new one on and things seem to be better now. Still have to wait to let the car air out a bit.

Styrofoam inserts: $17

I went down to the saab dealer to pick up a new o-ring. Well first I called them up to make sure they have one laying around the guy says they do. When I get there he comes out with a 2 1/2" gasket for the fuel pump (my bad it's called the sending unit) so i ask him for the o-ring for that and he tells me they don't have it. (This o-ring fits all saabs from the years 90-98) but they can order it. So I say sure go for it. I give him the card he swipes it says $17. I swear it shouldn't cost that much so he shows me the part on the computer and sure enough I almost just ordered the insert that supports the fuel lines (and probably has some other purpose that I don't know of) Turns out they had a bunch of the rings and for 8.50 hopefully I'm on my way to a better smelling car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts