SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling like it's time to upgrade from my trusty Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro. It's not without deficiencies (Symbian OS with very few apps available), 3.2" screen, slowish CPU. But it has all the features I really like and want to keep:

- FM radio with RDS
- 720p HD video with zoom during capture and anti-shake
- 5MP camera with LED flash
- decent music player
- slide-out QWERTY

But it would be nice to have a slightly larger screen (maximum 4"), Android OS and all of the above features, but I can live without slide-out keyboard. Thing is, my service provider (Virgin Mobile) offers limited Android phone options but they have this "supertab" allowance where any phone I buy from them can be paid off via monthly payments from my bill. But I'm thinking of just getting my own phone, maybe a new or near-new Sony Ericsson off of Craigslist. I'm thinking of:

1) Xperia Arc

2) Xperia J

3) Xperia P

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
How soon and does it have to be android?

Android is great and if google and let me get the original nexus I might be all android but i have fallen in love with my BlackBerry devices. if you can wait til next year BlackBerry has two new phones that will be a complete over haul of the current os and seems promising. Head over to crackberry.com to peek at whether or not you want to give it a chance.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Nexus 4 looks very nice, stock android = best android... and it is easy to root and install custom ROMs.

The new Windows Phone 8 devices look very nice as well... especially the HTC 8X.

·
Super Moderator
2,875 Posts
I have the Galaxy S3 and I absolutely love it. Swapped from an iPhone4, and while I do like the iPhone I really dislike Apple products. So much more functionality with the S3; one oft he best buys I've made.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How soon and does it have to be android?

Android is great and if google and let me get the original nexus I might be all android but i have fallen in love with my BlackBerry devices. if you can wait til next year BlackBerry has two new phones that will be a complete over haul of the current os and seems promising. Head over to crackberry.com to peek at whether or not you want to give it a chance.
Not urgent. Doesn't have to be Android OS, I could also wait for more Windows 8 phones to hit the market too. But I want to limit how much I spend on these silly things, as they are so transient and trendy (I should know, I've owned/changed phones about once every 2 years in the past 10 years). The last 4 phones were all Sony Ericsson (W380, P990, P1, Vivaz Pro) and never paid > Cdn$100 each, and two of those were brand-new-in-box.

That P model is sweet looking!!!!
i have the HTC Wildfire S through VM and i regretted it the day i bought it :(
Yeah the P is quite nice in the pics :cool:

I have the Galaxy S3 and I absolutely love it. Swapped from an iPhone4, and while I do like the iPhone I really dislike Apple products. So much more functionality with the S3; one oft he best buys I've made.
I like Apple products in their elegant simplicity of design, but have always hated their company and marketing (and dictatorial features and pricing).

I would go with one of the last 2.
Both comparable so I would, if you can, hold them and see what you like the feel of better.
Thanks. Actually all three are handsome, so it may simply come down to which one comes available at the price I'd pay (Cdn$125 or less).

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've always wondered about that. Makes sense to have the jack on the top end of the phone, no ?
Thats one of the design features I miss from my long retired Touch Pro 2. You'd never think its practical, but once I got over it, I could see why its a good move. The cable never gets in the way when you're looking at the phone upright. Plugged into the auxiliary of my car, I could take calls, drop the phone back in the center console, and mic picks up my voice loud and clear; cable on top means I cant do that, or have to get a cable with a built in mic. Also, there is practically zero stress on jack if you are using a heavy plug(I sometimes like to listen to my HD650 while I'm walking around the house).

Anyway, my personal vote would be the Lumia 920. Concensus suggests that its one of the best camera phones (Nokia 808 takes it). I also vaguely recall there being mention of a special 3-mic configuration, which Nokia states allows the phone to record audio up to 140dB without clipping. Considering how much work they put into making the phone, it wouldnt surprise me if it sets some bars for 2013

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Xperia P is off the table, doesn't accept a microSD card.

The J ...... ok for specs but none locally.

Found a few Xperia Ray for sale. Got all the specs I need. This could be it:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
iPhone. I'm not saying its the best or lost powerful, but its an iPhone, having one of the one you posted is like having a Zune.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nexus 4 looks very nice, stock android = best android... and it is easy to root and install custom ROMs.

The new Windows Phone 8 devices look very nice as well... especially the HTC 8X.
The Nexus 4 or even the previous gen Nexus would be my vote. Vanilla android is by far the best. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I've spent entirely too much time getting rid of all Samsung's Touchwiz stuff making it essentially the same as my wife's Nexus.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3" screen on the RAY? That's a bit on the small side.
3.3" to be exact. To me a good comfortable screen size would be about 3.75".

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
That's about what mine is (HTC Incredible 2). My preferred saize. I think the Nexus and GS3 are a bit too large.
I like the size of the Moto Razr. About the biggest I would get.

I am not a "fanboi". I am that rare person that loves ALL tech (it's also my job, too). Nice to see no one here being a total fanboi of either.
I prefer Android for many reasons but I like iPhones, too.
The new 5 is one sexy phone. Great camera and you will not believe how light she feels in your hand. Almost to the point of being a CON and not a PRO. lol Feels very fragile (but it isn't). I love the weight but my friend that has one wishes it were heavier.

But you seem totally into the dying brand Sony (which I also do like but they are hurting right now), go with your gut. ;ol;

1 - 20 of 36 Posts