SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that Saabs made after 1993(1994 Rag tops) have engine failure due to sludge build up and GM will not acknowledge the problem. This causes engine failure sometimes before 60K miles. Has anyone had such problems?
When I look at the depreciation of the newer Saabs it seems that something is definately wrong with them. Consumer reports had a very scary article on this recently.

·
Registered
304 Posts
K&C124 said:
I've read that Saabs made after 1993(1994 Rag tops) have engine failure due to sludge build up and GM will not acknowledge the problem. This causes engine failure sometimes before 60K miles. Has anyone had such problems?
When I look at the depreciation of the newer Saabs it seems that something is definately wrong with them. Consumer reports had a very scary article on this recently.
From what I recall, the so called sludging problem has been limited to cars 1998-2003, models 9-3 and 9-5. There was also something about sludging occuring mainly among the cars driven in Sweden. I remember reading that the spokesman for Saab said that among 100K Saabs sold in Sweden, 4% suffered from this phenomenon dues to climate conditions. I also believe that Saab did extend the engine warranty on the aforementioned models. From what I have seen, Saabs have no problems going 200-300K miles without major rebuilds.

As far as devaluation of these cars is concerned, I believe that it has to do with both their reputation, deserved or not, for being weird and difficult to work on and the relatively small number of cars that Saab sells every year. A lot of people don't want to touch them. I for once have no problem with Saabs suffering from devaluation, since I don't buy these cars to make money on them. I think that they are "cool" cars to drive as a second car. I think of Saabs as some people think of motorcicles: I wouldn't want to drive this car every day, especially NG900 and 9-3, but I don't pass an opportunity to drive my Saab everytime such opportunity presents itself. I also don't think that buying new Saabs makes much sense, precisely because they devalue so much. I know that next time I am on the market for another Saab I will buy a two year old Saab--let some one else take the bloody depreciation first, and I will slide in after the fact:cheesy:.

Ta-ta, j.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts