SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my friends 99 9-3 turbo automatic today as I was going to change her pulley and serpentine belt but no need, it had recently been done. Anyhow the car builds good boost but won't get out of it's own way. I honestly think an N/A car is faster. It idles perfect and doesn't miss or studder.

The car has 115,000 miles and has had regular maintenace from the Saab dealer. I didn't hear any leaks or whisles and looked around to no avail. I'm thinking a clogged cat? Ideas?

·
Registered
130 Posts
it could be the cat you should get it checked.i have 2000 auto. and mine is pretty quick,but my turbo just went,before it started sucking oil into the intake i was noticing my car was not preforming was not getting strong boost according to the gaugewas barely getting into the yellow.good luck with your car i am waiting for my new turbo

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Our 1999 felt the same way when compared to the 2000 9-3 LPT. I ended up having the resonator cut out (rust hole) and replaced the boost controller with an MBC from SPATL. The differece was night and day. The larger T25 turbo definately takes longer to spool up than my GT17 but it blows the GT17 away on the open road. Just be careful to not compare your T7 9-3 to the T5 9-3 off the line. They will not feel the same unless you start doing some mods. People can say what they want about the little GT17 turbo but it spools up quick.

Maybe the best setup would be staged dual turbos with a GT17 for low end and a T4 for high RPMs.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do own a 1999 9-3 auto with an MBC+A. The car in question is a friends 1999 9-3 auto like mine without the MBC+A. I drove mine before I put on the MBC+A so I am familiar with how it should drive. My friends car boosts more than 1/2 way into the yellow but the car goes nowhere, I mean a normally aspirated car is faster, I'm not kidding. I can't think of anything else other than a clogged cat.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I guess the only way to check that would be to disconnect the exaust from the downpipe back and take it for a quick spin to see if there's any improvement. You'll throw a cel but it's just for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
I guess the only way to check that would be to disconnect the exaust from the downpipe back and take it for a quick spin to see if there's any improvement. You'll throw a cel but it's just for a few minutes.
Isn't the cat part of the downpipe? If not I'll give that a shot next weekend. Thanks !

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
mr rx-7 tt said:
Isn't the cat part of the downpipe? If not I'll give that a shot next weekend. Thanks !
yes it is. Just unbolt the downpipe from the turbo. But you will throw a cel and it will be loud :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
yes it is. Just unbolt the downpipe from the turbo. But you will throw a cel and it will be loud :cheesy:
Be glad you aren't my neighbor next week. :cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts