SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t tell if my battery is getting weak or if my starter is just slow.

New to me 9-5 wagon. Sounds like I hear it crank over twice a second. Always starts though. I put my smart charger on the battery overnight but it doesn’t seem to make too much difference. Are these engines just slower starting?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not all. Mine is luckily fast, but I know someone with a slow one so I know what you mean. I seem to recall from other enquiries about this issue, that a new starter motor sorts it out, assuming the cables to the starter haven't broken down, and their connection are tight.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
If your 9-5 is a model 2002 or later, lmost certainly it's the Mitsubishi-sourced starter. I'm not sure if they ever don't work at all (though my favourite mechanic says they might), but they sure are slow. I cleaned one I got from a junkyard car, and it start the car way faster than the old one. I should clean that one up and see if I can tell why it's slow (corrosion, crud on the commutator, ??). You can replace with a Bosch model for '98-'01 9-5 models. The Bosch does have a failure mode, where a cable frays and melts and the starter fails totally. It's happened to me three times. So I don't mind sticking with the Mitsu.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have two 9-3s ('08, '09) and a 9-5 ('08). The 9-5 cranks much slower regardless of ambient or engine temp but it always works.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The Bosch does have a failure mode, where a cable frays and melts and the starter fails totally. It's happened to me three times. So I don't mind sticking with the Mitsu.
Interesting, I put Boschs' in three of my 9-5's drove them for many many years and have never had one fail.

I plan to put one in the 2004 you helped me obtain shortly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out today and battery was flat again. Beginning to think it’s just the battery not holding a charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
My old '04 9-5 was really slow to crank, but always started. I really think it was just the starter getting weak. My mom's Volvo XC90 V8 did the same thing, I just changed that starter this past weekend and it cranks up faster than ever now!
Check the condition of your battery (CCA) and if your battery keeps dying, check for a parasitic draw. If it's good, it's more than likely your starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the battery this morning.

Got stuck at my daughters school parking lot.
New battery makes a huge difference so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it cranking normally now? Hopefully the new battery fixed it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your 9-5 is a model 2002 or later, lmost certainly it's the Mitsubishi-sourced starter. I'm not sure if they ever don't work at all (though my favourite mechanic says they might), but they sure are slow. I cleaned one I got from a junkyard car, and it start the car way faster than the old one. I should clean that one up and see if I can tell why it's slow (corrosion, crud on the commutator, ??). You can replace with a Bosch model for '98-'01 9-5 models. The Bosch does have a failure mode, where a cable frays and melts and the starter fails totally. It's happened to me three times. So I don't mind sticking with the Mitsu.
Are you sure that the Bosch starter '98-'01 will fit to the >2002 gearbox?
I checked with Saab part numbers
4966842 and got this starter:

They appear to have the same mounting except angle Q (110° vs. 120°) which defines the position of the lower hole/thread for the second mounting screw.

I am not 100% sure that the information is correct, but other suppliers do not give that detailled information and I would trust Bosch that they know their starters.

How did you cleaned the Mitsu starter which starts faster now? Or was is just cleaning from dust without impact to starter speed?

I assume you did not opened the old slow starter to find the source of slow starting?

edit:
I checked the pictures from another company:

One starter has a total angle of 148° (exactly 110+38), the other one 156° (approx. 120 + 38°, which might be a measurement error trying to read an angle from the picture). Therefore I assume that old starter will not fit.
Other info: the new oil collector from MY 2004 on might also interfere with the longer 1,4kW Bosch starter. (Just info from a workshop in another topic, they might have not even checked the position of the holes). But my brothers car uses a MY >2004 engine with new oil separator but old gearbox, therefore I assume old starter. I should check the starter/oil seperator interference on that one.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
1. Are you sure that the Bosch starter '98-'01 will fit to the >2002 gearbox?
I checked with Saab part numbers
4966842 and got this starter:

They appear to have the same mounting except angle Q (110° vs. 120°) which defines the position of the lower hole/thread for the second mounting screw.

I am not 100% sure that the information is correct, but other suppliers do not give that detailled information and I would trust Bosch that they know their starters.
I have not done this personally. I have heard other people changing starter types, or not. There was a discussion on the OG9-3 list that went through the same thing (starter change happened for the T7 9-3s same as for 9-5s). See https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/which-starter.726738/

2. How did you cleaned the Mitsu starter which starts faster now? Or was is just cleaning from dust without impact to starter speed?
I cleaned up the surface where it contacts the bellhousing. Remember, the current flows in via the cable, but it has to exit the starter through its contacts with the engine block. I pulled off the brush holder, cleaned up the commutators (they weren't really bad), and checked that there was adequate brush length left. For fun, I lubricated the gear drive (there are some planetary gears in there if I reall). Also I cleaned corrosion off the cable lugs.

3. I assume you did not opened the old slow starter to find the source of slow starting?
Nope. If I had the time and a lift, I'd do the same cleanup on the old slow starter and swap it back in to see if that helped.

edit:
I checked the pictures from another company:

One starter has a total angle of 148° (exactly 110+38), the other one 156° (approx. 120 + 38°, which might be a measurement error trying to read an angle from the picture). Therefore I assume that old starter will not fit.
Other info: the new oil collector from MY 2004 on might also interfere with the longer 1,4kW Bosch starter. (Just info from a workshop in another topic, they might have not even checked the position of the holes). But my brothers car uses a MY >2004 engine with new oil separator but old gearbox, therefore I assume old starter. I should check the starter/oil seperator interference on that one.
The angle will only be the same if the pinion gear diameter is the same. Also, I do not 100% trust pictures from rebuilders to be absolutely accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I assume cleaning the inside of the Mitsu will not require any special tools or anything special to consider.
As I have two Mitsu in spare with low mileage I will check them and clean them if necessary. Maybe I could perform some current measurements out of the car before and after cleaning to check for improvement.
There are also both types of gearboxes at my brother to check for mechanical compatibility, but those tasks have to wait till christmas...

·
Registered
115 Posts
My son and I both have '04 sedans and I have replaced the starter in his with a remanufactured Bosch unit and it certainly makes a difference. My '04 is really turning slower with the recent cooler weather and I am wondering if I need to crawl under mine and replace it soon but alas winter is coming.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
So I assume cleaning the inside of the Mitsu will not require any special tools or anything special to consider.
As I have two Mitsu in spare with low mileage I will check them and clean them if necessary. Maybe I could perform some current measurements out of the car before and after cleaning to check for improvement.
There are also both types of gearboxes at my brother to check for mechanical compatibility, but those tasks have to wait till christmas...
Not really. WIS does not give you instructions anyway. Cleaning the corrosion off the casing where it touches/bolts to the bellhoulsing is straightforward.

The trick is to pull the end with the carbon brushes off, and then getting them back on. It seems that I have been using emery cloth to clean commutator segments, but this is not ideal. I do some lubrication with good-quality grease in the reduction gear and spur gear drive where it's accessible. Reassemble and test. (It's best to have a spare 12V battery and battery cable for this.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts