SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven't posted much because my Saab has been running fine. Last week I drove nearly 300 miles in 92 degree heat and got 39.2 mpg for the entire trip. And I just broke 240K miles.

Last Friday I drove to my son's house and back - maybe 7 miles and everything was fine. In the garage, I put the car in reverse and removed the key - no problem. Yesterday, I was preparing to leave and put the key in, turned it to ON, put the shifter in neutral and started the engine. When I tried to shift to reverse, it would not go. Neither would it go into 2nd or 4th either. It was like the shifter was hitting a wall.

I pulled the leather cover up so I could see if anything was out of place and I saw the white spherical socket ring kind of flopping around - kind of loose. I looked in the WIS and it said to replace it, turn it clockwise to lock it to the bayonet socket. But it didn't say how far to rotate it, and I couldn't see exactly how it locks.It's not floping around now, seems to shift fine, I'm just trying to understand how this works.
TIA, Ron

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
987 Posts
I don't have a manual, but based on some recent reading and some posts - it sounds like your shifter core and/or shifter bushings need some attention.
There was a post about this last week/week before last.
There were even a few recommendations regarding where to get replacement parts in the US.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I accidentally released that locking ring on my 1997. I said "uh oh" and weaseled it back in place and had no further problems. There is a spring that wraps around the ring. I was not clear to me what it does.

I don't know exactly how I got it back in, but pushing/twisting until it doesn't come loose was probably involved.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
987 Posts
Apologies Ron. I thought your shifter linkage was sick, but I think Edt's solution will work.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I accidentally released that locking ring on my 1997. I said "uh oh" and weaseled it back in place and had no further problems. There is a spring that wraps around the ring. I was not clear to me what it does.

I don't know exactly how I got it back in, but pushing/twisting until it doesn't come loose was probably involved.
That spring pushes ring back down.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for the replies. I was able to rotate the round plastic piece with the spring when I pushed it down with both hands and rotated it slightly clockwise. I really needed three hands to do it - the third hand to hold the flashlight. And, I still couldn't see exactly what the plastic tabs caught on when I rotated it. It would have been nice if the WIS had explained how it worked. And, I still don't know what that tiny spring around the outside of the plastic ring did, But I did drive the car around 500 miles last week and it is still shifting correctly... Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts