SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, finally got the td04, and home made 3 inch dump pipe all on.

started up fine .
taking it slowly for a bit , then i started giving it a bit of stick , at one stage it backfired , then stalled.

waited for a bit then started it ok, then after a little the engine cut out . started it , then it ran for a couple seconds then cut out , this happened a few times .

let it sit for a while then it finally started and ran ok. came to a stop then it stalled. when i started it again it was idling up and down a bit and sorta smoothed it self out .

then when i start it , it run and drive for a few hundred meters then it would cut out. then i would have to repeat the process again, try starting it again, let it sit etc...

there was a bit of oil in the intercooler piping , but that seems to have all cleared up.
i was thinking it might be a problem with the throttle body , ??? there are no error codes ...... or maybe plugs ? causing it to back fire ?

anybody have any thoughts ??

mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Plugged all the sensors and rubber pipes back in? An air leak will confuse the ECU no end.

Any photos of the pipework?

Where in Oz are you, roughly...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, i am in renmark , south australia, beautiful weather one day , perfect the next ...

i`ve had a pretty good look at the pipes,connections etc....i`ll double check in the morn and post some pics up..

mark k

Plugged all the sensors and rubber pipes back in? An air leak will confuse the ECU no end.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

heres a crappy pic from under neath , i thought i took some better ones...mmm i`ll take some more in a while.\

mark k

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like one of the charge air pipes have come off, had a similar happen to me. Have you checked LHM?

hi, double checked all pipes an wiring. everything looks good.

the plugs where black, so i cleaned em up.

started the car up , let it idle , then after about 20 seconds the engine just cut out , started it up straight away , and it cut out after about another 20 sec.

took a bit of crankin to start it , then after about the same amount of time , the engine was JUST ABOUT to stall , then it picked up in rpm and was idling fine for a while until i turned it off.
also , after i was reving it up 3000 TO 4000 RPM a few times by hand , i let go of the throttle and the engine stalled.
still no check lights
i also sprayed alot of water around , in case there where any vacuum leaks ,,, no differance in idle when i was doing this.

the boost control has 3 hoses coming off it, the hose with R stamped on it goes to intake snorkel and inlet manifold , hose with W to wastegate and hose with c to compressor housing - are these connections correct ?

mark

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found out what was wrong !!!!!

Sounds like one of the charge air pipes have come off, had a similar happen to me. Have you checked LHM?

hi , finally found out what the problem was.

i took the rubber elbow from the throttle body off , and started up the engine , reved it up to about 4-5 grand and there was BARELY ANY air coming out ...... mmmmmmm maybe i left a rag in the intercooler piping....no, checked them all.

then i put my hand straight over the outlet from the turbo, reved it up, yep plenty air coming out.....

connected the hose back on , then i removed the rubber bend from the gearbox side of the intercooler , reved it up...mmmmm a LITTLE air but not enough..........
maybe when the seal went on the old turbo , and pumped oil into the intercooler, it was blocking it up or something i thought......

i started to take the intercooler out , and there i saw it , the left hand side end tank was half off the intercooler.......

then it all clicked........ when i put me home made dump pipe in , i didnt put the o2 sensor in... i didnt think much about it , i thought it be allright for a bit while i test it out......so , no o2 sensor- upsetting the mixtures-caused it to backfire ( which it did !!) therefore blowing the end tankfrom the intercooler off....

hopefully i have it all fixed up tomorrow.

mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
That'd be it then.

Are you going to run the sensor after all that?

Not a bad job on the pipe. TIG welded stainless?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That'd be it then.

Are you going to run the sensor after all that?

Not a bad job on the pipe. TIG welded stainless?

hi, yes , the o2 sensor is already in.....

its stainless , but mig welded using argosheild gas. this works fine on stainless , my brother done a complete twin 3inch stainless exhaust on his 360 chrysler ap5 and it turned out well.

we do have a esab tig welder , which needed the water cooled hand peice , all we have to get now is a bottle of pure argon for it, it`s a massive tig, works on 3 phase power, they used it on building the submarines at outer harbour near adelaide..
mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Certainly looks more free-flowing. Can you feel any difference in spool times and torque at all?
Where did you source the sections from?
I weld CroMo stuff and have always thought this do-able.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tdo4 conversion going good,!!

hi, i ended up pulling the intercooler tank off , and took out the " o ring " that seal the tank to cooler , for some reason the ring stretched and was too big to put it back, so i cut out 8mm or so and glued it back together with super glue.

then i got some urethane adhesive ( ALOT stronger than silicone ) put a thin smear where the ring goes on the tank , bit tricky , i used a small screw driver to push it in, placed oring in position and then put a smear of urethane on the sealing lip of the inter cooler tank.

put tank back on and crimped it back together with pliers and then used a small chisel and hammer ,to really bend the tabs over...

the engine was still cutting out every now and then , , and then when i slowed to turn ,and giving a REALLY SMALL backfire . so i used cleaner on the throttle body and maf , cleaned the pod air filter , and put in a new O2 sensor..
so far it hasent stalled or backfired and has been running better......

definately more torque up top end ... now i have to dump in a stage 3 tune into the ecu !!!!
then put shockers in... :-(

mark

·
Registered
554 Posts
If the O2 sensor is disconnected the computer will run the tune in open loop which is the factory fuel map without corrections from the oxygen sensors. This map runs rich hence the backfires. You need to disconnect the battery or connect a code reader to get it into closed loop again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts