SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently noticed a very slight play in the steering wheel. It can be felt when I have the Steering wheel in its normal (straight) position and when I turn just one or a few degrees to the left or to the right: A small “play” before it starts to feel normal and steer as it should.

With “play” I mean that it feels like the steering wheel bolt is slightly loose….

What can be the problem? Is it serious or is it perhaps easy to fix?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Are you sure that it is the wheel itself?

What kind of shape are your strut bearings, control arn bushings and swaybar links in?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Underneath the steering column (just above the clutch pedal) you will see a joint where the steering shaft slides into a tube - try packing it with grease (you may see some grease that has leaked out). This should clear up the slight play - it feels like a slight knock through the wheel doesnt it?

Try this before you look into suspension etc:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Tighten up the fixings on the universal joint at the base of the steering column. I'd like to give more detail on how to get at it but it was my dealer that sorted it for me whilst car was in for other work. Greasing it up gets rid of the clunking noise but if the steering is loose then it's more than likely the UJ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts