SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my Saab for a few months and have changed the oil a few times. I've put on a new gasket ring on the drain plug each time I've changed the oil but I'm getting a slow drip every couple of days. I tightened the plug pretty good and it still is dripping.

Has anyone run across this?? Suggestions??

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Its not a matter of tightness, its the quality of fit. In other words, a PO may have changed the oil drain plug, using a wrong one, or a very cheap one.
You may have to drill and or tap a new threaded hole, using the correct plug for that operation.
Precision is necessary, but this is straightforward and easy. Quick fixes, shortcuts are out of place here..

·
Registered
153 Posts
On the first oil change, oil was dripping slowly but religiously. The car was sitting most of the time so I was not overly concerned. When I had it checked, the drain hole had been stripped and a a tap inserted. To add insult to injury, somewhere along the line, the oil pan had a long hair-line crack on the drain hole, that had been previously J-B welded. We J-B welded it again......No oil leak.....You might want to check for a similar crack on the pan and plug if your plug and washer is the correct size.....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Vulfinao said:
On the first oil change, oil was dripping slowly but religiously. The car was sitting most of the time so I was not overly concerned. When I had it checked, the drain hole had been stripped and a a tap inserted. To add insult to injury, somewhere along the line, the oil pan had a long hair-line crack on the drain hole, that had been previously J-B welded. We J-B welded it again......No oil leak.....You might want to check for a similar crack on the pan and plug if your plug and washer is the correct size.....
I'm replacing my oil pan because of several cracks......:cry:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
To prevent this damaging oil drain plug over-tightening, Saab should use a washer with the O ring and a fairly large plug with a 10 mm head.

Maybe then the gorillas will get the message !
Then, all the future mechanics should be taught the physics of mechanics - a week or a month, if necessary.
Right now it is probably 5 minutes....

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had a similar problem. When I changed my oil last weekend I looked at the copper washer and found the drain plug wasn't lining up. Basically the hole in the washer was big enough for it to hang down on the drain plug and not seal. This time I pushed the washer up to center it while I tightened the plug. No leak! :cheesy:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been using a plastic washer that does a good job of sealing my threads that are in poor condition. It's specifically for oil plugs and has concentric rings to help the seal. Came with the magnetic plug when I bought it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since i tightened the plug a bit more i haven't seen any drips, or at least not as often.

I was thinking about getting a new bolt, I have been replacing the washers when I do a change. Where is the best place to get a bolt and what size do i need.

·
Registered
365 Posts
nocluetim said:
I had a similar problem. When I changed my oil last weekend I looked at the copper washer and found the drain plug wasn't lining up. Basically the hole in the washer was big enough for it to hang down on the drain plug and not seal. This time I pushed the washer up to center it while I tightened the plug. No leak! :cheesy:
Is it ok to use a copper washer? I've been told that you should only use aluminum ones because aluminum crushes before copper, and there for, you will pull out the treads on the pan before the copper crushes. My Volvo tec lectured me on this, so it could be different for a Saab but idk.

·
Registered
803 Posts
white96850turbo said:
Is it ok to use a copper washer? I've been told that you should only use aluminum ones because aluminum crushes before copper, and there for, you will pull out the treads on the pan before the copper crushes. My Volvo tec lectured me on this, so it could be different for a Saab but idk.
I've never had a problem with the copper ones. (knock on wood) I use a new one every time I change my oil. I also don't put a lot of torque on the drain plug. I bottom the plug out and add, maybe, an 1/8th of a turn more.

·
Registered
417 Posts
mpetruzz said:
So I've had my Saab for a few months and have changed the oil a few times. I've put on a new gasket ring on the drain plug each time I've changed the oil but I'm getting a slow drip every couple of days. I tightened the plug pretty good and it still is dripping.

Has anyone run across this?? Suggestions??

Thanks!
I use same plastic washer for 5 years now. I change my oil every 3000 km and never had problem with a leak. Make it solid tight but do not over tight it. Before you put your plug back clean all contact surfaces and the screw with rug. Screw the plug in with hand and tight it up as much as you can with fingers only. Put a wrench to it and give another half of the turn. Prior to this check all surfaces for obvious damage, like little scratches that would enable oil to seep slowly. Of you notice something polish the surface until scratch is gone.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The plastic must be quite the rugged material; but proper tightening is paramount.

Many do not do this, hence my idea of the 10 mm head size; but our nations mechanics do need a lot more training....And the age of the grease monkey is over.
Mpetruzz, I do not know what the size is, thread-wise; of course this must be right.
Do you know any true machinists ? This is second nature to them.
One of our sponsors or NAPA, even PepBoys or Autozone are sources of drain plugs.
If you encounter a really good counter-man( an ex-machinist or good mechanic), present then with the old plug and he can match it or recommend the next size up and the machining procedure..
Excellent DIY abilities are necessary,IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put a small amount of teflon pipers tape on the threads of the plug. That will seal is up.

Do not over tighten the plug and you should be good to go.

Rick

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the drip has come back and the bottom of the oil pan looks like it has a slight film of oil on it. Could the oil be leaking from somewhere else and collecting on the drain plug??

Should I try to retourque the headbolts?? I've read other posts that have tried that for similar problems and had good results. How hard is that to do???

·
Registered
803 Posts
mpetruzz said:
So the drip has come back and the bottom of the oil pan looks like it has a slight film of oil on it. Could the oil be leaking from somewhere else and collecting on the drain plug??

Should I try to retourque the headbolts?? I've read other posts that have tried that for similar problems and had good results. How hard is that to do???
Yay, I get to post my thread two times today. Link How many miles are on your car? Have you given it a really good look over to see where the leak is coming from? Personally, if it's just a "slight film" I wouldn't worry about it. My car has a weeping rear main seal that drips on the exhaust. :roll: Very smelly!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 70k miles on it. Right now there is only a slight drip every other day or so and my oil level hasn't dropped in over 4k miles.

I was just reading some other posts and saw that the problem might be from the washer that I'm using with the drain plug. I couldn't find a copper one and the guy at autozone said that the metal one with plastic would be fine. I have to change my oil within the next week or so and I'll be sure to get the correct washer.

Is there a specific type/size that I need to get?? Obviously i'm using the wrong one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts