SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 SE that, whenever i merge on the highway and am under heavy throttle, bucks and seems to have a fueling issue? I go full down on throttle then have to back off and feather to get maximum response and a run void of any drama. i have yet to hear if i am misfiring or any issue related to it, i have just noticed it recently, as the car is fairly new to me. thank you

·
Registered
343 Posts
could be the throttle body. Might just need a good cleaning or might need to be replaced. I had what i would call "surging" under almost anything but very slow acceleration from time to time. Like the ECU was having a hard time figuring out how to get the requested power --> accelerating steadily, it surges, then the engine compensates and backs off after realizing its more power than requested. all this would happen in a couple seconds. I had my TB cleaned and for the most part the issue was fixed. It still does it occasionally, it will no doubt need to be replaced in a couple years, but it was a good temp fix. My mechanic only wanted $40 for the job.

other possible culprtis to check:
Fuel Pump (on its way out but not dead)
DIC (same as above)

you got any codes you want to share?

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
has the DIC been replaced?

last time that happened to me when I would jump on it, it was the DIC and I was getting misfires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have neither searched for codes nor cleaned the throttle body since the original time of posting. i have another 99 9-5 that im using as a parts bin, i will pull the throttle body off and install that one after a good cleaning and see if there is a difference, then report back to the thread. i believe that ive read that the p13410 code or something is known to play a role in misfiring? i am 90% sure that i butchered the actual number but its the best of my recollection. for the record i am still on a stock tune

·
Registered
432 Posts
that what has been happening to me, it started a while ago and then progressively got worse. i just ordered a new DIC and ill let you know if that fixed mine. because it turn out it is a misfiring code that comes up (at least on mine) but i would try to avoid having to replace the pump because i think its a major PITA to remove it in the 99 9-5s.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that you blokes should also check whether the white PCV check valve has broken off the plastic pipe. This would cause these exact symptoms.

It is on the hose that comes out of the left side of the valve cover, and often breaks or cracks at the plastic pipe connection (its right side if you look down at it).

·
Registered
345 Posts
so mine is most definitely broken, im assuming now would be an opportune time to do the pcv update then?
Then this is your most likely cause. The valve comes together with the plastic pipe as one part, saab part number 5955927. Make sure you buy a new one and saab genuine!

It is not a part of the PCV update kit. If you are going to do the kit update, it is worth cleaning the valve cover and sump drop - a whole different level of work!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The original part has a special pinch fitting on one end, so you cant use the aftermarket part you link to. Jim Ellis Saab in Atlanta does online orders.

·
Registered
531 Posts
All previous posters have great points. I can only speak from experience, I've stage II tuned three years ago, several days ago I got the bucking under WOT, and no symptoms at moderate acceleration. I had the spark plugs changed (last time it was 7 months ago), Viola! problem solved. Hope you issue / resolution is as easy as mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just changed spark plugs, NGK as advised by the manual, but the symptoms persist. im going to see if there is a slight vacuum leak this afternoon, hopefully it is so the fix will be on the cheaper side!;ol;

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
i just changed spark plugs, NGK as advised by the manual, but the symptoms persist. im going to see if there is a slight vacuum leak this afternoon, hopefully it is so the fix will be on the cheaper side!;ol;
did you check the gap on them? just because some come pregapped doesnt mean they stay that way during shipment

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you own a first gen saab and have never changed the DIC its time. If you don't remember the last time the plugs where changed that's also a good start lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i gapped the plugs myself to the spec in the manual, which was about a month ago. i have a backup DIC with 200k, would that be a good interim whilst i raise money for a new one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
problem was fixed with a new DIC, no more misfiring which means happy saab

1 - 20 of 20 Posts