SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so ive been doing my research and discovered that Slick 50 as engine treatment is ineffective nowadays than it used to be okay whatever im over it however when I try to find info on Slick 50's High milage auto transmission (HMAT) i barely found any reviews...

Since my Saab has been nickel and diming me, i feel its settled down with breaking down on me for the time being and at 123k miles the last thing i want is my trans going..

So heres what i was thinking, flushing the old trans fluid, refill with new trans fluid and add slick 50's HMAT into it. Does anybody have any expertise or knowledge about this??

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I put slick 50 into a ford 6 cylinder crossflow Motor years ago. I put 150,000 klm's on it and never put a spanner near it.

I've never put it into a gearbox tho.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know I only have a few post here, but I come with tons of knowledge. Simply do the flush, but leave the snake oil alone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dont know if saabs auto is different but on a higher mileage auto trans i would just drain, clean the pan and refill. no flushing. on older high mileage auto clutches sometimes the only thing keeping friction on them is the little metal particles of old clutch material, you flush that off and you lose the friction.

seems to be the rule of thumb on other auto transmissions, but i have no idea about a saabs auto.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't know of anyone that "flushes". All I've ever seen for the last several years is fluid exchangers, though we still call it a flush.

·
Registered
58 Posts
whos we?? and i say that cause you could go down to a local ammico and get this if you ask for a full flush.

Just flush it with new trans fluid until it comes out clean
also if the fluid has never been changed some would recommend to leave it alone, just top it off. it all depends on the previous maintenance which we dont know.

just trying to clarify cause there is differences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts