SaabCentral Forums banner

Do you like the sleeper look or does your car say "don't even think about it?"

• Sleeper-If I want rice, I'll buy some Uncle Ben's.

Votes: 323 42.8%
  • "Tasteful" appearance mods.

Votes: 83 11.0%
  • "Tasteful" mods but the power to back it up.

Votes: 334 44.3%
  • Rice Storm 5000!!!!!!

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Being a new saab owner my outlook has changed a lot about these cars , but before I owned one I never thought anything special about saabs they were just another car on the road to me. I think all that ricer stuff is lame and should be kept to the hondas. Every time I go to the street races I never see any saabs and I think saabs should be kept as sleepers.... to each its own
If that's true, what are you doing going to street races? :confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I deleted my thread by accident . But any ways I was just saying that when I go to the races I don't see any I never brought mine there I'm orginally a toyota guy and I use to drift and drag at my local spots

·
Registered
189 Posts
i like a car clean no decal or anything is needed

bodykits well chip foose said once and i really like the way he see thing "when i'm modifying a car it as to looks like it as come out the factory that way if it don't follow the line or look like it's part of the car then it doesn't belong there"

and Function over Fashion is always a must for me..... like wheels nice wheels are great but if they are heavier then stock one's there is no point of them being there :/ because they will make the car slower and affect braking distance :/

·
Registered
446 Posts
Okay, so maybe my name gives away how I voted.

For me, having a more powerful engine and a MASSIVE stereo are things I want in my car. It's for me, right? If I just want everyone to look at my car, I'll buy a Ferrari.

And keeping the Sleeper Style allows me to enjoy the power of the engine and the power of the music and not attract attention from the police or thieves.

That being said, I'd love to have a car that was a head turner, but to be honest, it probably wouldn't be a Saab. I'd prolly go with some old 50's/60's American muscle car.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My cars are an extension of myself and who I am. I like my cars to take on both my sense of fashion and knowledge. Looks are commonly snubbed in lieu of performance or at least made to be not as important, but to me looks is one of the hardest things to pull off well, at least as hard as building a solid powertrain. Consider that most of us will not seriously race our cars and they will more than likely be quick dailies.

Beyond that its subjective taste as to what is aesthetically pleasing. Personally, since I'm kinda a goofy guy in real life, my cars end up taking on aspects like that and some people view it as stupid because they don't get it, but I like to have fun with the looks of my car and make people wonder. I also strive to be extremely original as I can't stand it when I see something more than a few times. Having said that, there is usually only so much you can do that's totally original as you have to draw inspiration from somewhere, but generally, I don't let anyone rule what I do with my own car. I've got some interesting plans for my car that I'm toying with right now so we shall see.

I'm sure there are more saab people out there that are interested in going beyond the "clean stockish" look or the sleeper look (both are relatively easy to pull off on a saab), not that they are bad at all, but it's been done many times and I wanna see something more...thought provoking, even if I have to do it myself =)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sleeper all the way.....although the Viggen and Turbo-X kinda shout out don't f with me.....

You'd be amazed by how many ricers run up on our Viggen on the highway.....and then promptly get dispatched like flies -__-

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cars are an extension of myself and who I am. I like my cars to take on both my sense of fashion and knowledge. Looks are commonly snubbed in lieu of performance or at least made to be not as important, but to me looks is one of the hardest things to pull off well, at least as hard as building a solid powertrain. Consider that most of us will not seriously race our cars and they will more than likely be quick dailies.

Beyond that its subjective taste as to what is aesthetically pleasing. Personally, since I'm kinda a goofy guy in real life, my cars end up taking on aspects like that and some people view it as stupid because they don't get it, but I like to have fun with the looks of my car and make people wonder. I also strive to be extremely original as I can't stand it when I see something more than a few times. Having said that, there is usually only so much you can do that's totally original as you have to draw inspiration from somewhere, but generally, I don't let anyone rule what I do with my own car. I've got some interesting plans for my car that I'm toying with right now so we shall see.

I'm sure there are more saab people out there that are interested in going beyond the "clean stockish" look or the sleeper look (both are relatively easy to pull off on a saab), not that they are bad at all, but it's been done many times and I wanna see something more...thought provoking, even if I have to do it myself =)
My car is an extension of myself too... Hence its a Sleeper :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
My car is a reprensation of my personality on 4 wheels. Its dark and evil, yet elegant. And stupid fast lol. It catches the eye of a car enthusiast, but goes unnoticed to everyone else. Its understated and thats how I like it.

Other cars don't really mess with it. They hear it has a super deep exhaust note when idleing and it gets way louder when it accelerates. Then they hear the turbo spooling and the blow off when I shift. I feel the fear of the unknown keeps them from wanting to play.

When slower cars want to play, I let it go. If I'm going to get arrested again for street racing, it better be against a car worth racing. I'm usually the one trying to instigate the exotic cars on the highway. Lol, best moment in the car was letting a F430 get on the gas first and wathing him look over and say "What the F***" as I pulled away.

I love having an evil looking, unsuspecting car that is so much faster than anyone (not knowing big turbo Saabs) thinks it is. This Jet definatly flyes under the radar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would have to say i love sleepers and tuners that murder stupid muscle cars because most muscle car drivers are often brainless sand believe they are the **** and wont recognize how cool having a fully tuned and boosted 4 banger is even after they lost to one.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I would have to say i love sleepers and tuners that murder stupid muscle cars because most muscle car drivers are often brainless sand believe they are the **** and wont recognize how cool having a fully tuned and boosted 4 banger is even after they lost to one.
You've apparently never driven a fast V8 in a light body. My last 79' Mustang had 4.10's and a 5 Speed, suspension mods, weighed almost 2800 pounds (lots of gutting under the dash) with me in it, and was a 13 flat car with street tires. I remember when the ricer thing was big and I came up to a red light with 3 "ricer" friends who were following each other (2 in left lane, one behind me) for some stupid reason and I embarrassed them with my faded flat yellow car, and stock 86' GT rims by about 5 car lengths before I quit counting. Actually beat a LOT of other cars with that Mustang. Embarrassed a Neon ST4, an Acura RSX, Buick Grand National, 88', 82', 89' Mustangs, 86' Monte Carlo (20 MPH roll in 3rd gear to red line, no shifting with MC Donald hamburger in hand- he never passed me and gave up) Only car that kept up was a 2001 Trans Am. Think my favorite beating was a kid who pulled in front of me right before a stop light in a then new 03' Mustang, tried to "brake torque" his rear wheels which emitted a disgusting (chirp). I immediately got in the left lane, looked over he had this smug and WhyTF are you driving that POS. So I took the revs to 3500, light went green, dropped the clutch and passed him while spinning in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd actually hooked. When I finally looked in the mirror after merging back in to what would be his lane, he was something like 9 car lengths back. Eventually I had to get in a turning lane, and when he passed he only looked forward but looked like :)evil:) he was to returning his car to the dealership. Point being, "muscle" cars need to be respected unless you have "muscle" to pass them.

I prefer sleeper with cars that are typically ho-hum until you get past a certain HP barrier then all bets are off. I think you get more attention in a flashy car if it's tasteful, but there's nothing more pathetic than all show and no go with the exception of low riders. And it's easy to tell who's in a 15 sec mom's car.:roll:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do wheels count as a tasteful appearance mod or sleeper? They are Cobalt SS 18s plus car is lowered. No other outside mods but the chrome tip from the BSR exhaust. It has full stage 3 so it has some power to back it up either way.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
My car is a reprensation of my personality on 4 wheels. Its dark and evil, yet elegant. And stupid fast lol. It catches the eye of a car enthusiast, but goes unnoticed to everyone else. Its understated and thats how I like it.

Other cars don't really mess with it. They hear it has a super deep exhaust note when idleing and it gets way louder when it accelerates. Then they hear the turbo spooling and the blow off when I shift. I feel the fear of the unknown keeps them from wanting to play.

When slower cars want to play, I let it go. If I'm going to get arrested again for street racing, it better be against a car worth racing. I'm usually the one trying to instigate the exotic cars on the highway. Lol, best moment in the car was letting a F430 get on the gas first and wathing him look over and say "What the F***" as I pulled away.

I love having an evil looking, unsuspecting car that is so much faster than anyone (not knowing big turbo Saabs) thinks it is. This Jet definatly flyes under the radar.
Did you mean to say F150? I've driven a Vig, they ain't that fast.

201 - 220 of 245 Posts