SaabCentral Forums banner

Do you like the sleeper look or does your car say "don't even think about it?"

• Sleeper-If I want rice, I'll buy some Uncle Ben's.

Votes: 323 42.8%
  • "Tasteful" appearance mods.

Votes: 83 11.0%
  • "Tasteful" mods but the power to back it up.

Votes: 334 44.3%
  • Rice Storm 5000!!!!!!

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sleeper or not

do you guys like sleepers better or something that looks fast?

i like a sleeper, theres nothing like pulling up to i kid in a "fast" ricer and watching his head lights fade away in your mirros:cheesy:

p.s. is someone could add apoll to this that would be great, im sure its easy but i dont know how.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I like something that looks fast only if it is. I did performance mods to my car first and then tried to give it looks to match.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Nup, I prefer the 'gonna cream you' look cars, especially when they think they may have a chance becuase its "only a Saab" - and then I DO cream them :cheesy:

As Jeremy's post really (beat me to it!)

·
Registered
610 Posts
i agree with jeremy as well... all i'm really focused on is beefing up the power in my car... other than a few clear side indicators' here... clear corner lights there... and a lil paint on the calipers and rotors to keep them from rusting... it is all going into performance...

·
Registered
733 Posts
im a performance guy all the way! i could have taken all my money i have spent on making my 9-3 fly, and got viggen bumpers and side skirts, but then all i would have is a really slow really pretty saab. besides the $2k i spent on RK's and tires, all my money goes into going faster.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't street race (its illegal you know), so headlights fading into the distance isn't really my thing. BUT, having a car that really looks like it can go doesn't encourage people to try to street race so it works both ways.

BTW, (the V6 ain't slow) but before people think my opinion is a result of the car I drive, let me tell you bout my other car, Lincoln LS, with sport package outhandles most cars with its 50/50 weight balance AND has plenty of GO with the V8. I still drive it within the speed limit.

Tboy

·
12,576 Posts
My convertible's all show and stock 2.3 go :lol: the V6 is a bit out of the ordinary with it's 1993 vintage obvious by the registration plate, then add 2 dented doors [rear doors either side], a huge scuff in the front bumper, it's usually filthy, it has a twin electrics towbar [screams caravanner] and it's grey - there's the recipe for uber-sleeper perhaps? But 'look gosh, why such large wheels [lightweight wheels no less] and heavens, those brake discs must be as big as my wheels! and listen to it! it can barely idle, badly maintained it must be.' Then without waiting for a turbo to happen, the mass reduced pile of poo is off like a scolded cat, hitting the rev limiter approx. Every 2.5-3 second in 1st 2nd & 3rd, so like 88mph in 7.5 - 9 seconds, not bad for a dented shed [uber sleeper?]

I may tint the windows on it for the 'value range' pimp look :lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
With as few saabs that I see driving around, and even fewer on the drag strip or at autocross...I cannot see how you could not build these cars into sleepers. Even with a viggen kit and BBS wheels, 90+% of the people who drive hard still won't guess that the car has speed along with its looks.

Maybe if you start adding the roof wing and vinyl...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Aren't Saabs kind of sleepers anyway (minus WaSaabi of course)? When the "ricers" I have talked to found out I was working on modifying a Saab their jaws dropped (even the German car guys). Might have been more of a "why" than anything, but I'm going to remedy that. Honda schmonda.

Besides, are there any manufacturers that make oversized, dirt track oval looking, enough drag to make you pop a wheelie @ 55mph titanium/faux carbon fiber decklid spoilers for a saab?

ahhhhh, sarcasm.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
i like a nice mix. your car has to look good if its fast and if you "pimp in out" then all the bling bling is a waste if you get smoke by a POS vtec or a crossfire...:lol:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Its got to be sleeper - maybe a nice set of rims, personally I want a set of 9-3 double 3 spokers, they look so good.

Mine is currently with the 'bucket/shed/nail' look - I have some really bad paint repairs on the bonnet/hood, the sealing runners under the headlights flapping freely in the wind.

If you do put a kit on it, make the car worth it first - suspension, brakes, engine in that order.

Ragtopcav - I love the description of your v6, I would love to have a camera pointing out of the back of that just to catch expressions......

·
Registered
174 Posts
Has to be a sleeper for me too. I love the idea of a standard-ish looking car which can pull your face off when you poke it with a stick. It also keeps the idiots in their Lexus tail light / fart-can equiped hatchback from trying it on etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I really think the way to go is to first weigh the car down with a rediculous body kit with dual exhaust cut outs even though I only have a single 1" out. Then make sure I have at least 2 spoilers for the added weight, you know, so she really grips when my bone stock 1.3 L lets lose. Then add a 3" fart can tip so I get that nice weedwhacker purr. Not like an electric, I'm talking about one of those nice gas powered weedwhackers.

I like a strong car that's classy, not flashy. Your car better be fast enough to "represent" all that bling...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I love this thread....

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I agree with most of you, I like a car to be fast if it looks fast. Nothing agitates me more than a Honda Bling car, wing, spoiler, audio, it looks great, whats under the hood? Stock V*-Tech... HHHHMMMM, well that just defeats the purpose in my opinion... Show and no go is rediculous in my opinion...

I like the sleeper effect, my car is just that, a vert silver ng900... The only thing to its outer appearance that might give away the 400bhp under the hood is the lowered suspension and the little green line from my bpv to my boost gage... I just love the look on peoples faces when it starts to go...

Holy crap, what have you done to this car???:p SSSHHHHH, its all top secret stuff...

JZW

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tboy said:
having a car that really looks like it can go doesn't encourage people to try to street race so it works both ways.
I don't get what you're saying there. In my experience, the faster a car looks, the more idiots want to race it. I recently sold a Porsche 993. With that car, I could not leave the house for a 5 minute drive without some punk kid wanting to race me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
if i could be lucky enoug to drive a 993, thats a problem id be willing to live with :lol:

rainmn said:
I don't get what you're saying there. In my experience, the faster a car looks, the more idiots want to race it. I recently sold a Porsche 993. With that car, I could not leave the house for a 5 minute drive without some punk kid wanting to race me.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts