SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new clutch master from Skandix to replace my leaking original, but am having a problem and wondering if anyone has any ideas.

The Skandix unit arrived with a solid plastic cover, with no way to attach the original's cap which has an outlet for the hose going to the remote fluid reservoir (the one right next to the brake fluid reservoir tucked up under the hood scoop). The original unit has threads inside the clutch master's reservoir to accept the original cap and hose, the Skandix unit does not. The threads for the plastic cap are on the outside of the new cylinder.

Given the crazy location of the Sonett's master cylinder, the remote fluid reservoir is a must. Any ideas on how I might be able get some sort of cap solution that would allow for the remote reservoir? Skandix was no help - they basically said that the cylinder being listed for the 95, 96, and Sonett is wrong - it really only works as a direct replacement for the 95 and 96 and that they would change the info on their website.

Thanks for any ideas,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking for one for my '72. Not having the remote reservoir would be pretty bad...

I went with a Wilwood unit as the specs are literally spot-on to what the oem one was (bore size, stroke, mounting flange, etc), and Wilwood also sells a remote mount reservoir kit for it too. I covered it along with part numbers on my blog (www.WhatOnEarthIsASonett.wordpress.com), although to be fair I haven't actually installed it yet...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blog is awesome. Fun to see the massive amount of work and progress going on there!

Today I tried to modify the Skandix cap to accept a brass coupling in order to use the Sonett's remote clutch fluid reservoir. I drilled a hole in the cap and sure enough, that's where it leaked fluid all over...I wasn't thinking about the pressure from the fluid in the reservoir 12" above the master and cap. I need a more leak-proof solution! I'm guessing there's no sort of sealant that resists brake fluid...

Glad you found a solution with the Wilwood option - that looks slick and at least I know there's some way to do it!

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
The blog is awesome. Fun to see the massive amount of work and progress going on there!

Today I tried to modify the Skandix cap to accept a brass coupling in order to use the Sonett's remote clutch fluid reservoir. I drilled a hole in the cap and sure enough, that's where it leaked fluid all over...I wasn't thinking about the pressure from the fluid in the reservoir 12" above the master and cap. I need a more leak-proof solution! I'm guessing there's no sort of sealant that resists brake fluid...

Glad you found a solution with the Wilwood option - that looks slick and at least I know there's some way to do it!
Awesome, thanks! Glad you like it.

I've only test fit the clutch master at this point, and I had to use a small sanding drum on my Dremel to just slightly open up the hole in the firewall so that the master will fit through it. But I'm definitely feeling good about the Wilwood option.

Sorry I don't have any answers on the Skandix master. I've ordered a ton of stuff from them, just not the clutch master. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using a JB Weld product called WaterWeld, which is supposed to be good for submersible locations and says it's resistant to most chemicals including oil, gas, and hydraulic fluid. I just used a ring around the brass fitting and the inside of the master's plastic cap. It's working so far, so fingers crossed. Hopefully I've found a way to use the Skandix clutch master in my Sonett, which was incorrectly listed as the correct part for the Sonett along with the 95 and 96.

Warning to any other Sonett owners looking for a clutch master cylinder; the Skandix unit does not accept the old master's cap, which you need for the remote fluid reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
When I bought my Sonett, it had some sort of aftermarket clutch master that did not have the remote reservoir. After seeing it buried in the corner of the engine compartment, I honestly wondered how on earth you could fill it or top it off if needed? Crazy.

Glad you figured out a solution. Once I run new brake lines, I'll install my new Wilwood clutch master with the remote reservoir and I'll let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonett clutch master

My clutch master cylinder went out today and I'm thinking about replacing it with the Wilwood one you bought. I'm wondering how you hook it up to the peddle? The SAAB Girling OEM master has a kind of fork end the fits to the peddle with a pin. The Wilwood Looks just to have a screw end. what did you do to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
My clutch master cylinder went out today and I'm thinking about replacing it with the Wilwood one you bought. I'm wondering how you hook it up to the peddle? The SAAB Girling OEM master has a kind of fork end the fits to the peddle with a pin. The Wilwood Looks just to have a screw end. what did you do to make it work.
Pegasus Racing had a clevis kit for that master cylinder that I used: https://whatonearthisasonett.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-1605

When you pull the old clutch master out, the hole in the firewall will be a little too tight for my taste. I used a Dremel with a small sanding roll to gently open it up just a tiny bit. ;ol;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts