SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post pertains to a 2008 93SS with factory installed XM.

I've had a portable Sirius radio in my car for a while. I placed the antenna on a speaker blank under the parcel shelf and routed the cable under the passenger seat. It gets to look up through the rear window. The signal has never been great, but I hate the look of another antenna on the car.

After doing some reading about where the OnStar and XM receivers were mounted in the car, I went to take a look (just for fun I suppose). After removing the OnStar receiver and seeing that the green dash LED was no more (hurrah!), my confidence to take the car apart suddenly grew exponentially. I also noticed that the OnStar receiver uses SMB connections for its antenna (looked like the same size as my Sirius radio connection too). I tried plugging my portable Sirius unit into the now un-used antenna cables from removing the OnStar receiver. While they both physically fit into the Sirius device, neither cable could get a signal to my Sirius unit. D'oh!

Then I went to the XM receiver behind the right side trim in the trunk, removed it, and saw that the antenna hookup looked also to be the same SMB standard that Sirius uses.

I plugged my Sirius unit in to the now un-used XM antenna cable hanging out of the wiring harness, got some power to the Sirius unit, and, voila! It worked... the XM antenna buried somewhere within the wiring harness of the car was serving my portable Sirius unit a perfect signal. I thought it was pretty cool...

I did a bit of research online and found that Terk (www.terk.com) makes a satellite radio extension cable with built in amplifier (I guess more than 20 feet of total cable length for RG-6/58 requires an amplifier). With the Terk cable in use, the signal indicator on the Sirius unit shows a full satellite signal and the sound quality is noticeably better than with the measly little magnet antenna that came with the unit (perhaps due to the amplifier, or better grade cable, who knows?).

In trying to make things look 'purdy' (in actuality, make it look OEM), I used some cable ties and other cable organizing clamps to tidy up. End result is that I have the car's factory XM antenna plugged into the Terk amplified extension cable in the area where the XM receiver used to be. The extension cable then runs along the right side of the car under cabin trim, etc., up through passenger footwell trim, and across that very convenient channel under glove box, and down into the footwell for my Sirius portable.

Mission accomplished :cheesy:

EDIT: Task completed! --> Next mission: mount the Sirius unit anterior to the gear shift lever (ash tray-ish area). Tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Next mission: mount the Sirius unit anterior to the gear shift lever (ash tray-ish area). Tips/suggestions?
Might I suggest a brodit mount like the one the blackberry is attached to in this lousy pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I spoke too soon. I went poking around the house and found some goodies...

I used the suction cup mount from the Sirius unit and an adhesive disc. The adhesive disc is stuck to the underside of the cubby with the mount suctioned to it.

And yes, I know I need to get a different cord. I could only find a right angle in white.

Now its done. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I guess while you 07+ guys can enjoy the fact that you can change your radio, I guess the bonus for us is the AUX located hidden away under the arm rest. Your setup would be perfectly clean if you were able to run the AUX into the armrest. But good job either way, I also was thinking of adding a Sirius radio, but hate all the wires hanging around. So never did it.

Nice work on the unit location, I put my garmin in that location last year, works great.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess while you 07+ guys can enjoy the fact that you can change your radio, I guess the bonus for us is the AUX located hidden away under the arm rest. Your setup would be perfectly clean if you were able to run the AUX into the armrest. But good job either way, I also was thinking of adding a Sirius radio, but hate all the wires hanging around. So never did it.

Nice work on the unit location, I put my garmin in that location last year, works great.

;) Thanks for the kudos.

You should have seen what I used to have setup... I had the Sirius unit attached to one of those dash friction pads sitting in the front passenger footwell. Beyond folks complaining that it was in their way, and me always worried that someone would break it with a purse or foot, it wouldn't sit still. Now I can probably go 'round corners with gusto and it shouldn't move.

If you see in the pic, the antenna cable (black cable from the right side) is actually preventing the rubber mat of the cubby from laying flat. In addition to the right angle black audio cable, I have to figure out something for the antenna cable/cubby issue too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts