SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started getting a "theft protection failure" message recently and I went to take the siren out but it wasn't there (above inner wheel liner on the driver side). I see the bracket its suppose to be on,but nothing is attached to it. Did they move it on 2006 model? Looking at the EPC it doesn't look like they did but I am just not sure where it is now.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I thought they removed the siren starting in 2006. I always assumed since my car honks—not chirps—when I lock it, that my car has the siren disabled/removed. But I am not totally sure. I don’t think it’s in a different location.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I have siren and chirps in my 06 and 08 9-5s.
Siren location has not moved, but siren is not standard equipment unless you ordered it from factory.
You can add it but you need TECH2.

For "theft protection failure", you need TECH2.

·
Registered
532 Posts
No chirps or sirens on my 06. Maybe prior owner did a tech II Adjustment? I just get a flash of the side lights and brake lights.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx guys. My keyless entry/fob does not work so I am not sure how it sounds.
So why did this message appear. what needs to be done with tech ll? On older models the siren would go bad, you fix it and problem solved...what is happening now and what component is causing this error?

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Thx guys. My keyless entry/fob does not work so I am not sure how it sounds.
So why did this message appear. what needs to be done with tech ll? On older models the siren would go bad, you fix it and problem solved...what is happening now and what component is causing this error?
Siren is same.
You need TECH2 to check what is your problem, otherwise you are only guessing (and throwing money out).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after taking it to Cadillac Dealership, they told me the siren is on the passenger side. I cant wait to check on that since all the videos online, peoples experiences and even EPC shows it on the driver side. They offered to replace it for only $700 but I think I will be able to do it for only 2-3% of that quote :)....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
From what I've seen over the years of Saab Ownership (2004 9-3 ss and now 2005 9-5 Aero) is that it depends on the region. North America 2003, or 2004+ models didn't come with sirens. In European Countries, they were still equipped with the siren. None of my Saabs have had the Siren, neither does my friends 2008. Another thing we don't get in North America is the Deadbolt feature. Again, that is only for the European market. I'm not saying you can't add the stuff, but for North America, the cars did not come equipped with these features from the factory.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
So after taking it to Cadillac Dealership, they told me the siren is on the passenger side. I cant wait to check on that since all the videos online, peoples experiences and even EPC shows it on the driver side. They offered to replace it for only $700 but I think I will be able to do it for only 2-3% of that quote :)....
They are just guessing or telling lies. They also want your money.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha I said the same thing and asked are they sure bc its suppose to be on the driver side and he said "Yes I am sure, you can se the harness going that way"...So I will report once I check :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
From what I've seen over the years of Saab Ownership (2004 9-3 ss and now 2005 9-5 Aero) is that it depends on the region. North America 2003, or 2004+ models didn't come with sirens. In European Countries, they were still equipped with the siren. None of my Saabs have had the Siren, neither does my friends 2008. Another thing we don't get in North America is the Deadbolt feature. Again, that is only for the European market. I'm not saying you can't add the stuff, but for North America, the cars did not come equipped with these features from the factory.
What is the deadbolt feature??

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Lock teh car with your key, not the fob, turn the key an extra time and it makes the locks inoperable until you use the key again

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I didn't know the 9-5 ever had that feature. My 1997 900 does, so they must have decided at some point that us Americans didn't need it anymore. :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts