SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have sinking seats?!
I could swear, that day by day the driver's seat gets lower. I have a 1.8t Arc, and i think the standard seats tend to sink. You sit in, drive a bit, get out and then the following day i get in and i have to jack the seat back up a few notches - i guage this against the view in the rear view mirror.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Also, is there supposed to be a discernable change in volume on the stereo with the 'speed dependant volume' setting on? I used to drive a top of the range Seat with SDV, and as you decresed speed from around 70 you could really notice that the stereo volume reduced - which was great. I don't get this feeling at all with the 9-3. I know it is switched on, but it doesn't appear to be happening.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Can't relate to your particular experience with the seats. The side J-clips which hook the leather to the seat frame do tend to come off. That may be part of the problem.

The speed dependent volume (SDV) not working is a known issue with 9-3SS's up until 2005. I believe the cars coming off the line now have resolved the problem, and it now works.

There is a lot of backstory to the SDV problem, and I think much of it is documented in the FAQ here. Many of us complained about this early on, only to be told by the dealers that, "it was a really smart system that actually worked. But it was so good you couldn't detect the changes:roll: " I can vouch that I was personally told this by my dealer in 2003. Outright denial-- that was Saab's way of solving this particular problem:evil:

We had a forum member for a while who even helped implement the SDV, so we knew it was in there somewhere. Maybe a software glitch prevented it from being active. At any rate, it now seems we were right all along. It just doesn't work in most 9-3's.

The question now, is are we entitled to some upgrade that gets us what we thought we bought? My guess is the way to get this is to swap the EHU (entertainment head unit). Saab will be less than enthusiastic to swap thousands of these. I may give it a try.

One other advantage of the newer EHU's is that there is a text line in the SID which shows which of the six slots in the CD changer actually contain CD's. This upgrade came before they got the SDV working. There was also a hardware adjustment made in 2004 (resistors were added) which eliminated the audible hiss when you have AUX-IN enabled but no source connected. So there are at least 3 or 4 different "builds" of the EHU out there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the drivers side manual seat in my car changed under warranty for the slow drop. At first I thought my inside rear view mirror was moving, but I then realized the seat was dropping over time.

No problem since it has been replaced.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i had no idea there was a fix for the seat dropping problem on the manual adjustment seats. i complained about this over a year ago, but i thought it was a design flaw. oh well...i rigged a a thick wire clip to wedge the gear teeth that controls the raising and lowering of the seat so it does not move. someone on here earlier said their seat was replaced for the same problem, but after replacement, the seat still did the same thing. after hearing this, i decided to solve the problem on my own.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ctrlz said:
One other advantage of the newer EHU's is that there is a text line in the SID which shows which of the six slots in the CD changer actually contain CD's. This upgrade came before they got the SDV working. There was also a hardware adjustment made in 2004 (resistors were added) which eliminated the audible hiss when you have AUX-IN enabled but no source connected. So there are at least 3 or 4 different "builds" of the EHU out there.
With the in dash cd changer, you can tell which of the slots contains a cd, as the numbers on the changer are illuminated if there is a disc present, no disc no light. So having it displayed on the sid is really just a duplication. would be nice to have the speed dependent volume working though.

Oh by the way, I too have the "titanic" seats!

·
Registered
223 Posts
my wifes car which is a linear has the dropping seat. The dealer said there is nothing wrong with it. It drives my crazy, but my wife is so oblivious she does not seem to notice.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Dave N said:
With the in dash cd changer, you can tell which of the slots contains a cd, as the numbers on the changer are illuminated if there is a disc present, no disc no light. So having it displayed on the sid is really just a duplication.
Noted. Works great at night.

To me the missing text display line in the SID was an oversight, as was the SDV implementation. I bought a Saab because I like bells and whistles, so I'll take all I can get:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.