SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled out factory original Eurovox 7480s head unit yesterday. It's been sitting in the standard place being the single DIN slot of the dash fascia. It's old and clunky being that it only does AM/FM radio or cassette tapes (remember those?).

The other location to put a head unit is where the single-DIN cubby fits into the centre console. IMHO that is a better place in terms of being away from the heat of the sun, and possibly less distracting when driving.

Given that my 2.1 sedan has the Saab-standard (!) factory connections for an audio head unit (pair of black 10-pin ones), making up a longer set of cable to get to the centre console's DIN space is no drama as I can simply take the wiring harness that connected to the Eurovox, chop it, and join on a suitable connection harness for my preferred device (Alpine 9886 most likely).

Just wanted to put it to a 'vote' - do you prefer your audio head unit in the dash fascia, or do you prefer it mounted elsewhere (such as in the centre console)? I'm fairly sure my old (long written off) 89 900i hatchback had the aftermarket head unit installed in the centre console.

Another reason to not use the dash location is to allow fitting of extra gauges (if that's something you like) or simply just to make a space to fit extra switches on a panel or basically anything.

Craig.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Depends a lot on how much time you spend fiddling with the radio. For someone like me, who barely uses it, and doesn't interact with it much once it's on, the low mount is fine (mine isn't there, but it may move at some point once I get a bunch of other things done; it's a low priority, since, as noted, I don't use it much). If you're constantly tuning/adjusting/tweaking, put it where you can see it easily.

Agreed that the upper slot is best used for gauges if your focus is on driving as opposed to the radio.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
The wiring will reach to top or bottom, no need to extend anything. Just unclip it at the firewall if you want it in the lower slot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts