SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team, can those of you who have gone to a single din aftermarket headunit, post up a pic of the dash install please?

Also can you tell me what you lost in terms of SID functions and whether it was worth it?

Having upgraded all the speakers and added an amp and sub to my 9-5 I am frustrated by the headunit and its lack of flexibility hence considering a single din conversion.

Thanks team! :p

·
Registered
695 Posts

Not mine, but I found this in my Saab folder. When I got my double din nav unit installed, I only lost the radio and cd info display that is right under the date and temp. Its just blank.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

This really does make me wonder about the idea of putting the SID and ACC panel together - then having the headunit and cubby hole / guages at either the top or the bottom :confused:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I'm curious if that when you install a new unit, will the night panel dim it? I'm considering a nav unit in the future.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I really like my alpine unit, mainly because of the usb functionality. I can plug in my mp3 player and scroll through all of the folders on it through the unit itself and this can be used even with a flash drive. It also displays more info than the saab sid so I don't really miss the stock one too much, plus I have the open sid with my tune that I like to use.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chris,,,, aren't you trying to sell your car.....
mod addict. ;)
Yeah but no one wants it :cry:

So I continue to build upon perfection :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heres what I want to know is there anything special that has to be done in order to hook a after market stereo and amp with sub to this car in order for it to work with the Harmon in line car amp?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
554 Posts
I´m extremelly demanding when it comes to the looks of things and the audio/navigation/pc integration with all the 9-5 dash. I´d definitely say, build yourself a car PC with a 8" monitor as a substitute. Then have the screen upwards, then the ACC and then more downwards the SID. The SID just doesn´t give enough info to be up there. If done with care I definitely think you can get a very clean look. good luck chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like my alpine unit, mainly because of the usb functionality. I can plug in my mp3 player and scroll through all of the folders on it through the unit itself and this can be used even with a flash drive. It also displays more info than the saab sid so I don't really miss the stock one too much, plus I have the open sid with my tune that I like to use.

I really like this setup especially because I have the same headunit. How difficult was it to put this in? Any info on where to source the mounting parts and the empty bin above the head unit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
777 Posts
It was pretty easy, and it worked on the first try without a hitch. Just to warn you I did need to install 2 ground loop isolators because there was a loud pop every time you changed the radio station or track. The write up is here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts