SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out and bought the Sylvania SilverStar Cool Blue headlights because with my original bulbs I couldn't see anything. So I just popped them in and they are working, but they are neither blue or cool. They look exactly like the old ones. Given that it is day time, I still get the old mellow yellow look, and it seems as if they will be the same at night.

Does anyone know if the look will be different at night, and I am just being paranoid, or there could be something wrong with the bulbs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hey AML, I ran silverstars in my car for about a year and they had a constant clear look to them, you could pop off your lenses and see if there is some sort of film on the inside of them that is manipulating the light. It's pretty easy to do so its at least worth a try.
I've also since moved on to HID 10000k bulbs, but the silverstars were pretty good for as relatively inexpensive they were.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Those Silverstars will go out on you over and over. (Even with proper care and installation.) Just stick with the stockers since as you noticed there is no distinguishable difference. I myself didn't notice a thing eighter other than extra cost and shorter life span. I suggest taking off the lenses they are glass so you can wash them even in your dishwasher! They will be nice and clear then. :cool: Other than that is BIG $ for HID kit. Or do a custom projector setup.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
hkayssi said:
Pics? :cheesy:
Haha, I'd really love to but I have no digital camera of my own, and the car is currently in a different city :cry:

But eventually, I will put up some updated pics, I've been saying that since I started the post your pics thread, but it will happen eventually. :cheesy:

I can tell you that they look damn good at night though.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Jeeeesh guys, do a search will you. I (and others before and after me) have covered this ten or more times.

1) The cool blues and bulbs like them will not emit more useable light than stock bulbs, in fact it will be less. They use a dichroic coating to filter out red, orange and yellow wavelengths. Some of the light in these wavelengths is useful visible light. ANY TIME you filter out useable light, you are dimming a bulb down. The color of these bulbs is whiter and/or bluer, but it is NOT brighter.

2) US Silverstars are focused more on the whitening aspect of the light, so they do not perform like their European Osram Silverstar counterparts, which do in fact emit more light.

3) If you want more light cheaply, about 60 or 70 USD will get you Osram Night Breakers, which emit 90% more useful light than stock bulbs, without going over the correct 55/60 watt rating for your harness and lenses. This means they are straight plug 'n play.

4) If all you care about is showing the world that you are an HID wannabe poseur, then get some gimmick bulb from ebay or somewhere and limp along with handicapped lighting until you hit something because you can't see for squat.

5) If you cannot do a search, go to Daniel Stern Lighting and read everything on the site.

6) And yes, you can spend about 250.00 USD and more for retrofit HID lighting but your car will no longer be street legal. FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 108 requires US cars to retain filament style bulbs for any vehicle so equipped from the factory.

Sorry to sound so terse but I am old and cranky.
G'night.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Saaboheme said:
3) If you want more light cheaply, about 60 or 70 USD will get you Osram Night Breakers, which emit 90% more useful light than stock bulbs, without going over the correct 55/60 watt rating for your harness and lenses. This means they are straight plug 'n play.
For less you can get 65/75 watt bulbs from Hella. Higher than what it's rated at but I'm using 80/100 now with no funny melting-wires-like smells.

I don't recommend doing the same as me, I'm a professional...

...getter-outofthecar-er causeits-on-fire-er...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Saaboheme said:
1) The cool blues and bulbs like them will not emit more useable light than stock bulbs, in fact it will be less. They use a dichroic coating to filter out red, orange and yellow wavelengths. Some of the light in these wavelengths is useful visible light. ANY TIME you filter out useable light, you are dimming a bulb down. The color of these bulbs is whiter and/or bluer, but it is NOT brighter.
It does sound like you know your stuff, and then some. But in the end it was a little bit of the fact it was the day, and little bit of the fact that my lenses are a bit dirty. And as much as I can believe it is truly emmitting less light, it doesn't really matter whether it is or isn't, it has greatly improved my night vision. I can't help but to respectfull disagree with sticking to the stock bulbs, the yellow tint almost seems to misrepresent what you actually see on the roads. If I want light, it should be clearer, and whiter to contrast its dark surroundings right? Not some faded yellow flashlight look.

And to mention on the price, $20 is not breaking my bank, and is well worth what has seemed to be an immense improvement to my night driving. So I could really care less if the text book says I am not getting as much light, because in the end it has improved what I see.

Don't bother yelling at me about how I am wrong, because in the end the bulbs worked for me, and basically thats all that matters.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Saaboheme said:
Jeeeesh guys, do a search will you. I (and others before and after me) have covered this ten or more times.

2) US Silverstars are focused more on the whitening aspect of the light, so they do not perform like their European Osram Silverstar counterparts, which do in fact emit more light.

4) If all you care about is showing the world that you are an HID wannabe poseur, then get some gimmick bulb from ebay or somewhere and limp along with handicapped lighting until you hit something because you can't see for squat.

5) If you cannot do a search, go to Daniel Stern Lighting and read everything on the site.

6) And yes, you can spend about 250.00 USD and more for retrofit HID lighting but your car will no longer be street legal. FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 108 requires US cars to retain filament style bulbs for any vehicle so equipped from the factory.

Sorry to sound so terse but I am old and cranky.
G'night.

Don't be apologetic, not at all, I really didn't know HID's were illegal, ****, that really sucks for me, the cops in my home town already hate me... I can't wait to get my first bulb ticket.

Thanks for the heads up saabo. Oh, and I thought you said something about your b- day in some other post, so happy birthday man.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I work at Kragen, an auto parts store... these things are okay at best. I have a set myself and i know my lights are a much "whiter" light. Thats never been the issue, like liketheword said they go out like hell. I hate selling the things because i know half the time these people will be back in half a year b*tching that i sold them crap.

They're nice for the cost, but dont be suprised when they blow. Ive only had mine for a month and im expecting it haha. (oh and i spent the money on them because it was pretty much nothing with discounts)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I(almost) always get Osram bulbs used to be silverstar.
I just got their 75/90? rally-yellow bulbs, but I haven't used them yet.
(I'm waiting for these 90/100 3200K bulbs to die.)
There's a guy on Ebay that sells them.. from VA I think hs name is pdburg

In either case, both my Saab and Eclipse have an suvlights.com upgraded harnesses, which allow for higher-wattage without melting stuff.
The eclipse was "converted" to H4 bulbs, too... I use the same 3200K bulbs there (ebay!) I'd much rather have the lower "temp" bulbs with more usable light in weather.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been running cool blues for over 8 months every day with no issue. They are inexpensive and better looking than a lot of the super bright, make sure you piss everyone off by blinding them models, and good enough for me. If they blow out after a year of use, that isn't too bad to me for $25 total.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
OK, like I said I was feeling a little miffed and was perhaps a bit abrupt. Let me rephrase:

Everyone here under the age of 40 raise your hand. OK, you may leave. Your night vision is sufficient that you may use anything you want except for matches, birthday candles and those gawdawful PIAA Plasma GTs which emit the same amount of lumens as a radium painted watch dial.

The rest of you stay and repeat after me:

I am an old geezer whether I want to admit it or not. As such, my night vision has deteriorated to (at best) approximately 1/2 that of those other young feisty whippersnappers who just left the room. It is not getting better and is in fact declining with the passage of time. (Insert your own rant here regarding the dastardliness that aging represents and bemoaning the youth wasted on the young). Accordingly, I owe it to myself, my family and the innocent motorists and pedestrians with whom I share the road, to equip my car with the brightest, safest, street legal bulbs available on the market, even if they do not look "cool" or have that mad HID look. I therefore do solemnly swear and pledge that I will make all headlight bulb purchases in strict accordance with these guidelines, or I will stop driving and make my eagle-eyed, reckless, imprudent and impulsive teenaged daughter drive me around at night.

That is all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saaboheme said:
OK, like I said I was feeling a little miffed and was perhaps a bit abrupt. Let me rephrase:

Everyone here under the age of 40 raise your hand. OK, you may leave. Your night vision is sufficient that you may use anything you want except for matches, birthday candles and those gawdawful PIAA Plasma GTs which emit the same amount of lumens as a radium painted watch dial.

The rest of you stay and repeat after me:

I am an old geezer whether I want to admit it or not. As such, my night vision has deteriorated to (at best) approximately 1/2 that of those other young feisty whippersnappers who just left the room. It is not getting better and is in fact declining with the passage of time. (Insert your own rant here regarding the dastardliness that aging represents and bemoaning the youth wasted on the young). Accordingly, I owe it to myself, my family and the innocent motorists and pedestrians with whom I share the road, to equip my car with the brightest, safest, street legal bulbs available on the market, even if they do not look "cool" or have that mad HID look. I therefore do solemnly swear and pledge that I will make all headlight bulb purchases in strict accordance with these guidelines, or I will stop driving and make my eagle-eyed, reckless, imprudent and impulsive teenaged daughter drive me around at night.

That is all.
I'm not trying to say anything bad about you here, but if you need very bright bulbs in order to see the road at night, you truly owe it to yourself, your family, and innocent pedestrians to stop driving at night. My grandfather complained of losing some night vision years ago and dispite getting extremely bright headlamps, he ended up killing himself, my grandmother, and another person, because he apparently couldn't see well enough regardless.
Soemtimes, you have to realize when you may become a danger to everyone around you, even if you yourself think that you can overcome these "minor" issues. Like I said, not trying to "badmouth" you, it's just uncomfortable to hear some of my grandfather's "last words" nearly verbatim.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Sidiov said:
Soemtimes, you have to realize when you may become a danger to everyone around you, even if you yourself think that you can overcome these "minor" issues. Like I said, not trying to "badmouth" you, it's just uncomfortable to hear some of my grandfather's "last words" nearly verbatim.
Wow, I can see (pun intended) that self-deprecatory humor is not the defusing panacea that it once was.
OK Pal, lighten up. I'm fifty not ninety. I was simply pointing out that aging causes some irrevocable loss of night vision acuity and that it therefore behooves us, as responsible citizens, to equip our vehicles with street legal devices that can improve safety, such as bulbs that provide superior lighting. Thanks for the safety lecture and your concern for my family who must suffer along in terror as I drive them around sightlessly and recklessly on dark moonless nights, to the great detriment of the innocent pedestrians and motorists I am blithely cutting down with impunity.
Pauses for a swig of Geritol . . .
I am cleaning my eyeglasses now, before my driver's license eye exam, in an impliedly vain attempt to "overcome this minor issue." Perhaps you will get your way and the State of Ohio will enact legislation prohibiting people who need glasses or headlights from driving.
I am leaving now, as soon as I find my walker. Hrrrumph.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! ya WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!!"

"...AND PULL UP YOR PANTS!!!!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts