SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two Saab 93's- a 1999 and 2002, both are silver and look exactly the same color to me, but they have different paint codes on the door stickers. The '99 is #268 Silver and the 2002 is #279 Steel Gray . I got some paint to do the 2002 ( fixed the doglegs!) using the #279 paint code on the door. As soon as I started spraying, I realized it was not the same silver- it was darker. I thought maybe it was a mixing issue, but this page I've found shows two different silvers for 2002 and it seems to roughly correspond to what I'm seeing. 2002 SAAB Paint Charts and Color Codes

The only thing I can think of now is that this car has a wrong paint code on it! I'm thinking I should just get the #268 paint?Has anybody here owned the darker 279 silver color and would know the difference? It actually looks pretty nice, but I don't plan to paint the whole car!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Steel Grey is considerably darker than Silver. I've seen quite a few Steel Grey Saabs over the years. It's a very attractive color, and much more distinctive than plain old Silver. There was also a Dolphin Grey color used for a while that was less glossy, and looked sort of like battleship grey. Audi had a similar color that I used to see on TTs.

On a somewhat unrelated note, thank you for posting that link, because it has the Viggen bumper top/rub strip color that I'd been searching for for years! I had seen in once on a paint chart at an old Saab dealer, but never saw it again. Now I know that it's paint code 281! :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

shows a full list of og 9-3 colours. There's only one type of silver on the old 9-3, although previously Saab had other shades of silver. "Green silver" isn't a contender, as you'll see if you click on the orange paint code number. I second what Jeremy R. says in that steel grey is very different, and far nicer, more distinctive and elegant. (Yes, I had one).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

shows a full list of og 9-3 colours. There's only one type of silver on the old 9-3, although previously Saab had other shades of silver. "Green silver" isn't a contender, as you'll see if you click on the orange paint code number. I second what Jeremy R. says in that steel grey is very different, and far nicer, more distinctive and elegant. (Yes, I had one).
Interesting that the list you posted doesn’t show steel gray until 2003, yet I have a 2002 with a factory sticker showing the paint code for steel gray, even though it is clearly not painted that color. I guess options could be this door was repainted and from a 2003 vert. ( would a ‘vert front door even fit a 5 door?) or this sticker got stuck on the wrong car at the factory. The list I posted shows both colors for 2002. Does anybody have a steel gray OG and can say if they exist it not?

Off to the paint store...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I too just acquired an 02 steel grey, and was actually looking for that color, and not the plain old silver, those seem to be a dime a dozen. It's amazing how many call it silver when selling it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All I had to do was wake up a little more and look at my 'vert, to know a 'vert door would not fit on this car. DOH! This car has had a wrong paint code on it for the last 18 years! And, there are no signs of this door having
being repainted. I did get the right paint today and got'r done! no more of those damn rust holes from hell on the doglegs of this car! ( those are not clearcoat runs, I was washing it!)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too just acquired an 02 steel grey, and was actually looking for that color, and not the plain old silver, those seem to be a dime a dozen. It's amazing how many call it silver when selling it.
Its a very nice color for sure. Maybe I should have left it and painted a few more panels for an intentional two tone.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
here's a pic of the" oh-no wrong color" moment. It really makes the old silver look boring doesn't it? and that's with no clear coat.
IMG_4431.jpg
moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts