SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I called up everyone in the phone book looking for the correct tire size for my 900 SE turbo. Anyways, I stumble across a man who claims I can go a "step bigger" on the tires and it wont hurt anything AND they were over $100 cheaper! So, being the conservitive student I am I jumped on the bargain (regardless of a tad more rubber, eh?) so anyways. When I have my car returned to my possesion the SRS light had become illuminated and the radiod "code in" didnt appear (this is also after roughly 5 people had changed the seats**, later on that) ... Eventually I fixed the radio BUT the SRS light stayed illuminated NOT blinking.

Going to the usual Auto store for some car care products I stumble into a man who explains it can be a cord under the two seats **... (which I can not find). So, I take it to the usual mechanic then whome says they can reset it but cant fiddle with any airbag sensors or electronics. They reset the light 4 times but to no avail it returns. He then recommends me to an electrician in the area.

When arriving I explained my tires had been bumped up a size and everything. He claims that a sensor could have been hit or that the size difference it telling the ABS sensor that something is wrong thus shutting off the SRS...

Basically my point is. Do any of you know of any other possibilities before I go into the money crazy (lets try everything to fix this darn Light in my eyes issue)

(sorry for the long post)

BTW: now they are 205-55-16s... I know the 55 and 16 is correct

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
That tire size is actually OK. Saab used it in later years on the 9-3. How far have you driven it since the tire change? Is your speedometer working fine?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the tire size (many people, including me, have those size tires)....my best guess would be that someone screwed up while installing the tires.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
205-55-16 has a slightly larger aspect ratio.

The 50 aspect ratio is hard to find, and the change is slight..
"Let me count the ways" applies to "How can they mess up the tyre installation ".

Workmanship/Craftsmanship is quite the problem...These are not taught as well as they could be..
Speed seems to be predominate..
Believe it it not, these can co-exist....

Hard to imagine how the ABS connector could have been disconnected - it is somewhat close to the wheel inner portion..

Ten Ways to Mess up a Tire/Wheel Installation
1.Install the wrong size tire or wheel
2..Do no inspection of the exposed area(brakes and rust).
3...Use no anti-seize on the metal to metal surfaces
4....Fail to pre-mark the old wheel position on the hub, this was a must do with the VW Type Four, the 411 model with the new to VW McPherson strut suspension..
5.....Forget to tighten the lugs in sequence - do this any old way:nono;
6......Mightly over-tighten the wheel screws or nuts with the impact gun set at full force...and skip the use of the torque wrench... or do this incorrectly...
7.......Lose the lug nuts (and then use the wrong ones !!), hub cap, or the insert or poorly install even one..
8........Incorrect air pressure, this is a biggie.
9.........Rush the car off the lift ramps and crash...... Rare..... but this happens:nono;
10..........Forget to sell or do the Hunter Road Force wheel balance
11...........Sloppy or non-existent paperwork..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everbody! So far I guess its just major coincidence OR it IS the mechanics fault. My speedometer sure is working properly btw... I scheduled an appointment for monday so your replies are still greatly appreciated. I believe that I should atleast walk in with some sort of "ammunition"... knowledge really is power

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Had to leave outta town for a couple weeks... going to get it fixed when I get back to Florida. Im just hoping its going to be a loose sensor...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As far as i'm aware the SRS system in the NG900 is an all in one design, meaning that their are no external components that provide inputs to the SRS module, which is located under the centre console between the front seats, directly behind the rear seat ashtray near the floor. The module itself is the crash sensor and only has outputs to the seat belt tensioners, the SRS light, and the air bags themselves, so its not possible that changing tires could have "knocked" something loose.

Could it just be a coincidence?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
One must agree with Diosnoche.

Copied from RoadKill : When I have my car returned to my possesion the SRS light had become illuminated and the radiod "code in" didnt appear (this is also after roughly 5 people had changed the seats**, later on that) ... Eventually I fixed the radio BUT the SRS light stayed illuminated NOT blinking.

Did the battery die when the car was in the shop ?

At one time, mechanics used to sit in customers cars and play their stereo and do other things no so good..; but I doubt if this still occurs today.....or at least it should not:nono;
But, no way could one trigger the SRS.
You can have the SRS codes read...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
earthworm said:
You can have the SRS codes read...
Probably recommended.

Try not to jump to the conclusion that the mechanic may have done this, its probably just a coincidence. When I took my car to get painted, and I went to pick it up they told me the car just stalled on them and wouldn't start. I of course, blamed them since the car was in their care, but it turn out to be a fault ignition switch, completely coincidence; they're a body shop, not mechanics. With a Saab anything can happen, which is why so many mechanics hate working on them, their unpredictable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!

Thanks alot for all the replys everybody. Hopefully when I get back Ill have some time to check the center piece and check wires before I send it in... Any other comments are still greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im giving up!!! lol. Im going to surrender to the Saab dealership miles away... For now until I get the money im going to have to live with the light on. Thanks everybody for you help though!

·
Registered
619 Posts
My light came on, but it just happened to come on after my fuel pump was changed? HOW? I have no idea if the two were even related, but when I removed the center console, I noticed sticky soda spilled all over the SRS unit. (If you think about it, it's rigt below the cup/change holder, hence probably where it came from. I disconnected the battery, waited 30 minutes, then swapped it out with one I got from the junk yard for $11. Voila, it fixed the problem and the SRS lightn never came back! That's just what you might have to do. Oh, and my car wouldn't pass inspection with the SRS illuminated. :evil:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woah... I forgot about the whole Coke incident!!!! A couple weeks prior or such (cant recal) my friend spilled coke ALL over everything! Hum... Maybe I should check out some junkyards!!! BTW: I was TRIED to remove the center concole and I cant seem to locate that last bolt somewhere around the ignition I would assume... any opinions?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes! there is the 3rd torx T25 that's hidden! First, make sure that you take out the rear ash tray. Take out the 2 10mm bolts, then, working your way to the ignition, (Make sure no key is in) See how it's a cover like piece? just put your fingers on both sides (right next to seats) and pull the cover right up! It'll reveal the last T25 screw. that's as far as you have to go! Also, with your fingers, reach in the E-brake area, and push on the bottom of the window switch pack so it'll pop up and you can disconnect the wiring and hence remove the console! You won't have to mess with any more dash, ie the piece that holds the front ash tray, controls, etc. Very easy! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts