SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run my driver's (left) side mirror as far clockwise as it will go, so the outer edge is up to the front of the mirror housing. And I sit fairly far forward, with the seat upright.

Still, I don't have enough coverage of what's beside me. Even run fully out, I see cars which I can also see in the rear-view mirror. More importantly, I don't see cars two lanes over to my left which may be planning to move right, maybe at the same time that I am planning to move left.

The mirror motor works, and I can hear it hit a stop. The mirror housing isn't folded back. I suspect that I have hit the physical limit to mirror outward travel.

Does the 9-3 have more adjustability? Is there something I'm missing? Someone with long legs is going to have even a worse time seeing what's in the left blind spot, since the effective outward angle is decreased as the seat is moved back.

(The RH convex mirror is fine. I have no issues with its coverage.)

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
I think you are an unusual driver. That's not to say it's wrong, just unusual.

I run my side mirrors so that I can still just see the edge of the quarter panel as a reference point. I think most people do that, or run them out just a smidge more so that they see the whole lane next to them - not two lanes or more.

I think you'd need convex on the driver's side to do what you want to do. FYI - here in the "states" we don't even get right side convex... and that's an issue in convertibles with the huge blind spot.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are an unusual driver. That's not to say it's wrong, just unusual.

I run my side mirrors so that I can still just see the edge of the quarter panel as a reference point. I think most people do that, or run them out just a smidge more so that they see the whole lane next to them - not two lanes or more.
I drive in the rightmost lane by policy. It also is often the quicker lane when traffic builds up, as everyone wants to drive in the middle and left lanes. (The majority of freeway I use is 3 lanes each direction. Lane discipline is a bit better when there are only 2 lanes each way.)

There are, however, places where the freeways are five or more lanes wide with traffic on the far left deciding to move to the far right, and vice versa. I can think of at least one place where I am the mover-to-the-left in this whole mess.

Additionally, I may also need to to adjust to the coverage and blind spots in the Saab, as they are fairly different from a '70s Firebird. In the Firebird, there was no chance of the rear-view covering the adjacent lanes; the Saab's rear-view is big enough to mostly do that. Although there still is a blind spot next to the car caused by the big, far-back C pillar.

I think you'd need convex on the driver's side to do what you want to do. FYI - here in the "states" we don't even get right side convex... and that's an issue in convertibles with the huge blind spot.
You're kidding? "Objects in Mirror are Closer Than They Appear"? The Saab Owner's handbook states that the RH mirror is convex, and it's the same handbook for US and Canada.

I do know that in the far distant past RH mirrors were flat. My '78 Trans Am came with a flat mirror; Pontiac didn't get around to installing convex mirrors until '79. So I swapped in a later mirror--couldn't drive with the small flat mirror.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
IMO, the rear view mirror systems can be much better... How about the super panoramic interor RV mirror , from years ago , but these may not have panned out.. They were large !
A camera set-up would be better.
You can try a glass and mirror place..

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, the rear view mirror systems can be much better... How about the super panoramic interor RV mirror , from years ago , but these may not have panned out.. They were large !
The rear-view mirror Saab supplies is more than wide enough to show everything visible out the back, with a bit of the C-pillars as well. And the C-pillars are thick enough that a panoramic rear-view will still leave significant blind spots.

Note, above does not apply to convertibles, as long as their top is down.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
^ the right side mirror is not convex as far as I can tell. No warning on it. (see note 1 below). I have a small round convex mirror on my NG900 because the blind spot in the 'vert is so large. It's moderately useless for judging distance, but at least I can see if something is there.

With the top down in the 'vert, I have full visibility and I have it down at least half the time I am driving - so on the average, the visibility in a Saab convertible is average for a car these days (how's that for a statistical distortion by use of an average :).

note 1
: I have mirrors over my bed with the note "objects in this mirror are larger than they appear.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the 9-3 have more adjustability? Is there something I'm missing? Someone with long legs is going to have even a worse time seeing what's in the left blind spot, since the effective outward angle is decreased as the seat is moved back.

(The RH convex mirror is fine. I have no issues with its coverage.)
Ha, the Saab TSB site that saaboheme posted for convertibles has this gem:

http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_TSB_Folder/Saab_TSB_pdfs/843_1587.PDF

In some cases it has been found that the door mirror on the driver's side needs to be angled outwards by a greater amount in order to give tall drivers a more convenient rearward vision. In the event of customer complaints, the angle can be increased on LHD cars by adding washers to two of the mirror mechanism's three mounting points.​

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TSB also implies that the mirrors snap out and snap back in again.

I gotta try this....on a junkyard car first!

Maybe I can go for a 9-3 double-convex RH mirror.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The mirrors do snap out. Just use a screwdriver padded with a rag so you don't mar up anything. I have the wide-angle mirrors from a European-market 9-3 on both sides of my car. They were well worth the money because I don't have any blind spots with them.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mirrors do snap out. Just use a screwdriver padded with a rag so you don't mar up anything. I have the wide-angle mirrors from a European-market 9-3 on both sides of my car. They were well worth the money because I don't have any blind spots with them.
I was following a 9-3 on the weekend. I think he must have put a convex passenger-side mirror into the driver's side housing. Either that or he was microcephalic. It was obviously no the regular reflection of his head in the mirror.

The mirrors do look at least close to the same shape, left and right. I'm not sure I'd want a full convex mirror on the driver's side, but if I can get the mirror then why not try it?

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The European mirrors are nice because they're not convex on either side. They just have a wide angle section on the outer inch or so. You don't get that "objects are closer than they appear" look with them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The European mirrors are nice because they're not convex on either side. They just have a wide angle section on the outer inch or so. You don't get that "objects are closer than they appear" look with them.
That's what I have on my 99 vert... With a line on the glass to show where it changes. I'd never seen one before I got this car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts