SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Is the new ribbon cable going to fix the dead pixel issue (when i put it on the SID)
I still wonder about a ribbon issue causing a total loss of the display. As we know, there are about 60 separate circuit connections from the motherboard, via the ribbon, to the display. Has anyone ever had them all disconnect at once? usually the display starts to "break down" gradually, which is why I suspected the backlighting filaments.

Maybe one of those numerous contacts is the earth return, and its the one (or one the ones) that disconnected. That might explain total blackout. A shot in the dark perhaps, but the following might cure that.....

While you're waiting for the new ribbon you could take the SID apart and try the temporary fix, which is to try and improve the ribbon connections by (a) increasing pressure by inserting some foam between it and the casing ( a bit of a faff, and not reliable) or (b) running the tip of a clothes iron (soldering iron is too hot unless you have the special 3 cm wide head) along the connections to melt the conductive adhesive or whatever it is and hope they all re-connect.

The latter method has worked for me on several 9-5 SIDs. I believe the car still operates without the SID and if I'm right, you have nothing to lose. Otherwise, if the ribbon fix doesn't work, get a used SID, preferably one with a photo showing it working.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
If you're in the USA, I have a couple SIDs for sale.

FWIW, I've seen the ribbon cable detach completely when old.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd recommend, if you DO buy a new ribbon cable, get one complete with screen. Not that much more, but much less to go wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
can anyone recommend a place or website to buy a good ribbon cable? Maybe one that you had a good experience with

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this might sound a bit daft but you said this is your first car and you said that you'd operated the roof. Is it possible that you've operated the ,"Night Panel " switch under the roof button and are not aware of it. You haven't said that any other parts of the panel are not operating. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know this might sound a bit daft but you said this is your first car and you said that you'd operated the roof. Is it possible that you've operated the ,"Night Panel " switch under the roof button and are not aware of it. You haven't said that any other parts of the panel are not operating. Just a thought.
All the parts work it’s just that the pixels are dead which is the problem I’m having. Hope that answers your thought 😁

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto : 2001 93 SE Vert Manual
73 Posts
I have had the SID out of my car multiple times to fix the display. I have tried a few displays, notably one that I had to use the heat from a soldering iron attachment and one that used a piece of foam to get a friction fit between the cable and the circuit board (currently in the car). No matter what I have tried, I always get drop-outs when it is below 35 degrees or so and the pixels come back when the car gets warm. Both types were bought on eBay.

The last time I reinstalled my SID into the car the display would not work. I messed with the harness connection and was able to get things working, which was by chance. I am hesitant to remove the SID again because I know that there is a connection in the cars wiring harness that is going to come loose at some point.

I agree that the cable replacement is a great place to start and is probably the fix, but there is the possibility that the issue lies in the wiring harness.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts