SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post and also first car. I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo convertible. The SID (I think that’s what it’s called) isn’t showing up any writing. It makes beeps like when I open the roof or close it but I don’t know what it’s saying. Should I try and find a replacement and would it work if I plug in a new one or do I try and fix the display screen
Thanks all stay safe during this pandemic ✌

·
Registered
177 Posts
You'll probably find that the problem is the common problem of the ribbon cable. They have a fairly crappy method of making the electrical contacts. You could buy a new one online and replace it yourself if you're pretty handy, no biggie. Where are you? In Vic, 'Saab Wreck' will help if you need someone else to look at it for you, -interstate, I wouldn't know.
There's plenty of info on this forum, so search and ye shall find!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll probably find that the problem is the common problem of the ribbon cable. They have a fairly crappy method of making the electrical contacts. You could buy a new one online and replace it yourself if you're pretty handy, no biggie. Where are you? In Vic, 'Saab Wreck' will help if you need someone else to look at it for you, -interstate, I wouldn't know.
There's plenty of info on this forum, so search and ye shall find!
Thanks joolstacho that really helps 👍. I am located in Victoria and I’ve been working on the car to get it in tip top shape so I am a little handy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Goodonya Junayd. The ribbon cable is easily available on ebay, but look into it, don't just buy the cheapest one. Frst I bought a 5 dollar one which was useless, then I got a good one. Mine cost about $40. The SID unit comes out of the dash easily - use a credit card or similar to slide around to ease it out. Then replace the ribbon cable. Needs care, but it's pretty easy. (Take pics as you dismantle it so you know where everything goes!)
Hopefully your Saab will be good to you... I just love mine, but I was lucky to get a good'un.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goodonya Junayd. The ribbon cable is easily available on ebay, but look into it, don't just buy the cheapest one. Frst I bought a 5 dollar one which was useless, then I got a good one. Mine cost about $40. The SID unit comes out of the dash easily - use a credit card or similar to slide around to ease it out. Then replace the ribbon cable. Needs care, but it's pretty easy. (Take pics as you dismantle it so you know where everything goes!)
Hopefully your Saab will be good to you... I just love mine, but I was lucky to get a good'un.
Thanks man really do, I’ve been looking into it ever since your reply. Seems pretty straight forward. I’m going to get one that was recommended by 2 guys on YouTube. It’s on pixelfix.net. It costs 15 pounds so from Europe. Just got a question tho. There’s 2 different ribbon cables. One fits all SID 1 models and the other fits all SID 2 models. Which one do I get they are the same price?
Thanks again

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes I know there are two types, I'm sorry but I don't know which would be right for your 2002 model. Mine is a 2000 9-3 and I don't know if/when it changed.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
You probably have a SID 3, but I'm not 100% familiar with the differences in 9-3 units. Post a picture, or pull the unit and read the part number.

On my similiar 9-5 SID, I used a replacement ribbon that came with its own screen, which made things a bit easier. Not sore where it came from, as it came with the car from the previous owner.

Since you have a convertible, if you want to replace the SID, you would have to either get a convertible SID, or get any compatible SID and then configure it using a Tech II so that the convertible software is enabled.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
You have to look which SID you have (SID1 vs SID2 cable).
I highly suggest that you change whole screen with ribbon, thus you have 100% new screen W/O scratches etc. You also reduce fault 50%.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hold on there just a minute.

I assume the other lighting controlled by the dimmer is still working? Does the brightness of the ACC display change when you cover the photo-sensor on the SID?

Ribbon failures rarely kill the whole display - lines of elements die, or parts of digits. If there's nothing showing at all it might be the backlight bulbs, of which I think there are three, bayonet fitted into the back of the unit and easily changeable. In this case, in the right light, you can with effort and imagination, just about see what the display is showing although its really faint.

First thing I'd do is twiddle each bulb and see if it comes back to life (the connections to the flexible printed circuit aren't that reliable). I had one where they all died.

·
Registered
493 Posts
SID error/warning messages follow a set pattern. If you have a vert then you'll get the roof messages.
## taken from a previous post I did..
Looking at the WIS for a 99 9-3 this is list of SID check messages:
CHECK messages are shown in the following order of priority:
1. KEY NOT ACCEPTED
2. TIGHTEN FUEL FILLER CAP
3. CHECK SOFT TOP STORAGE
4. CLOSE TRUNK LID
5. CHECK SOFT TOP LATCHES
6. FINISH SOFT TOP MOTION
7. CHECK SOFT TOP COVER
8. SOFT TOP FAILURE
9. CHECK SOFT TOP
10. STOP FOR FUEL
11. TRANSMISSION OVERHEATING
12. BRAKE LIGHT FAILURE
13. FRONT LIGHT FAILURE
14. FOG LIGHT FAILURE
15. REAR LIGHT FAILURE
16. TEST BRAKE LIGHTS
17. WASHER FLUID LEVEL LOW
18. FILL COOLANT FLUID
19. SERVICE THEFT ALARM
20. REPLACE KEY BATTERY
21. TIME FOR SERVICE

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Fair point about the bulbs. If the buttons light up at night, the bulbs are probably okay.

If the display is working but the bulbs are dead, shining a light on the screen should show the messages.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
ANd just for reference, when you pull out the SID, it will say on top SID1, SID2, etc. SID2 has more buttons.

FYI - nothing holds it in, just pry with something covered in tape so as not to scratch the dash. I usually just open the cup holder and pull from the bottom, but some resist since it's not a straight pull.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
"If the buttons light up at night, the bulbs are probably okay"

I thought it was two sets of bulbs, one for the buttons, one for the display backlighting?

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
"If the buttons light up at night, the bulbs are probably okay"

I thought it was two sets of bulbs, one for the buttons, one for the display backlighting?
That's definitely true of the NG900 SID, which had five bulbs. I don't know the 9-3, but on the 9-5 SID it's only three bulbs that seem to do the whole business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve taken out the SID out of my 9-3. Turns out I need the Ribbon cable for the SID 2. I’m going to order a new ribbon cable. I’ve checked all the bulbs and taken all the advice from your replies. Is the new ribbon cable going to fix the dead pixel issue (when i put it on the SID) 👍

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
That's definitely true of the NG900 SID, which had five bulbs. I don't know the 9-3, but on the 9-5 SID it's only three bulbs that seem to do the whole business.
There are 6 bulbs in the 9-5's SID. Half of them are hidden behind a panel that you have to unscrew. The 9-3's SID is also shown as requiring 6 bulbs in the EPC.

Hopefully the new ribbon cable fixes the issue.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Two are visible on the OG 9-3 SID only after removing the plastic panel on the bottom of the SID (snaps out after prying sides slightly inward).

Five bulbs on an OG 9-3 SID2. Assume SID 1 is the same but not sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts