SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like almost everybody, the SID in my 9-3 has had so many pixels go out that it has been useless for a long time now. I had always been meaning to get it refurb'd, but that always got put on the back burner. Several years ago I took it out and tried the foam trick to hold the ribbon cable under pressure. That brought some of the pixels back, but it was still looking like something written in Braille.

Anyhow my Dad surprised me the other day with a SID that he somehow acquired and said it had good pixels. I've been reading a lot of contradictory information about whether or not these displays are "married" to a particular car. If I stick the replacement unit in, will I need to have something reprogrammed for it to work properly? I've read some threads where people say the replacement needs to first be divorced from the original car, but then others saying that's not the case.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The SID does not have to be married to the car. The only time a Tech-2 is needed is if a non-convertible SID is used in a vert. The Tech-2 enables the vert messages that aren't needed on a non-vert.

I have two spares and they can be interchanged in less than a minute... Ron

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
But you also need a SID for your ECU. In other words, a SID from a T5 won't work in a T7 and a T7 won't work in a T5... Ron
That's not true. The 1999 9-3 (T-5) uses the same SID as the T-7 9-3s. It was superseded at one point. The NG900 uses a different SID, but that's because the 900 has a completely different kind of data bus and the SID is taller than the one in the 9-3, not to mention a different color.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
All I know is the part numbers in the EPC are different which normally means that something is different and probably won't work. But, thanks for the clarification... Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts