SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, not wishing to gloat but I dug out a 12+ year old Blaupunkt head unit out of the back of my garage and stuffed it into my 900 vert :cool: [when'll the novalty wear off huh?] and it knocked out the OEM unit in 1 punch, not only that but it does not look totally out of place at night either, look...

yes it's the bit that says 'KERRANG!' on it, local rock station :roll:

note it's an amber backlit dot matrix justlike the SID above [the ambers don't match though, how rubbish] so now I'm left with the 4 dashes on the SID as if it is expecting the code for the head unit that is no longer fitted, does anyone know whether this is normal and the SID need to be told not to prompt this via a Tech II, or have I been exceedingly stupid and missed something that should be obvious?

For the record, Blaupunkt Madrid radio cassette with DMS [it'll run a boot CD changer - I'll have a shiny new one to fit soon] keycard/code security and makes the original clarion unit sound soooooooooo fischer price :nono; what were Saab thinking? [cloth ears?]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
My SID's never displayed dashes with my Becker head unit. Did you make sure that the bus wires in the wiring harness aren't connected to anything?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your SID needs to be re-programmed, via TECH2. It currently thinks that the old head unit is still there!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The SID can't be programmed; it's not that advanced. :cheesy: I bet it's just a bus wire that's still hooked up to something.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Agreed with Jeremy. Something is hooked up to where it shouldn't be. I swapped the one in my old 94 and the radio SID stuff just disappeared. I had to do nothing.Pic looks great. Matches pretty well. Nice. :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having had a rummage around behind the SID and checked the WIS, if I understand it correctly the on board computer is generating the 4 dashes and it may be the case that indeed it is a Tech II job :roll:

cheers for the input, I'm going back outside to find more fualts with my new toy :cheesy:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I still don't think it's Tech2 though, bud. I know our cars are very different in some respects but in this I can't believe it really is that different. I think a wire is hooked up TO the SID that is 'telling' the SID that there should be a Saab radio there, IE it's applying some voltage where it should not be.
If this wire is cut, the car should 'think' the radio is gone and stop bugging you.
Of course I certainly could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to the bottom of the 4 dashes problem :lol:

The factory Clarion was removed without dialing in its code, the SID is really that dumb, it was waiting for a feed from the headunit regarding a code to remove the dashes.

I connected a factory unit to that SID and dialed in the code for the headunit and they disappeared; result :cheesy:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts