SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
My '99 9-3 2.0 convertible is showing a check oil level warning on the SID on every start. I dismiss it and it stays off until next start.
The level looks fine on the very approximate dipstick. No low oil pressure warning.
I found the below:
https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/sid-check-oil-level.57029/#post-507130
Apparently only the V6s have a sensor for oil level. I looked up the online WIS: https://saabwisonline.com and don't see an oil sensor, do see coolant level sensor.

Any ideas?

thanks
Breck

VIN YS3DD75N9X7022821
B204L engine
T5 engine
190k miles

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Are you sure it says to check oil level? There is no oil level sensor in the car, so it's tough to understand how it could get such a message.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That's odd. If it's always been that way, I would suspect a transplant from another car without the requisite reprogramming. I think the NG900SEV6 had a level sensor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's odd. If it's always been that way, I would suspect a transplant from another car without the requisite reprogramming. I think the NG900SEV6 had a level sensor.
It is a recent phenomenon, had the car for more than a year before it came on. The oil was actually low first time it came on. Coincidence?

Breck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
So I did standard maintenance which entailed swapping spark plugs and air filter, no oil change, and around the 2nd time I started the message went away. I am pretty sure it existed the first time I started after swapping plugs. I also tested my spare DIC which I swapped back to the original one. The message has stayed away.

So perhaps DIC fault or plug swap made the difference.

Is there a "swap plugs" or DIC busted SID message that might have gotten confused?

It could be a coincidence but thought I would share.

Breck

·
Super Moderator
2,875 Posts
Your SID somehow lost its coding and has defaulted to a V6 coding. There is no level sensor on any T5 car except for early T5 9000's. Don't worry, the SID is just losing its mind.

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
Your SID somehow lost its coding and has defaulted to a V6 coding. There is no level sensor on any T5 car except for early T5 9000's. Don't worry, the SID is just losing its mind.
Tom: Do you know much about this sensor? Something that could be retrofitted to later models perhaps, even if it wasn't tied to the SID? Maybe a 9000 oil pan would bee needed or a mod to the pan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts