SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've tried searching the forum, but I'm still not sure if anyone has been able to do this: the bulbs that light my SID display need replacing (the pixels are fine; the display itself is what's dim).

I hate to pay $10 a bulb for something that should be cheaper. Has anyone been able to purchase bulbs from a third-party supplier for this? Did the bulbs work in the display?

best,
David

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I bought a used instrument cluster on ebay that had 22 good bulbs for $50. So, not even including the cluster, I got a good deal. You just need to match the color of the base of the lamp for bulbs in the SID, ACC, and instrument cluster... Ron

·
Registered
267 Posts
Very easy indeed, unscrew the bulb mount, you will see it's only a holder for a simple bulb (14v 3w) and its legs are wrapped around the plastic holder so as to get contact when you screw it in against the PCB.

Just take uno of the old bulbs out, go to an electronics store and get some (mine are 2 w) mount them, and voila!

For me 10 bulbs cost was under 50 euro cent.:cheesy:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It's just like changing a bulb on an old-time Christmas tree light string. I remember checking the bulbs with a VOM and when I found a bad one, I would straighten the two wires and pull the bad bulb out of the mounting. Then I would put a good bulb back in and get see all the lights light. Today, it seems that most people just buy a new string and throw out the old string.

Hey, anyone know where I can buy some tinsel? Not the new krinkled stuff, but the old flat tinsel... Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.