SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the car yesterday and was greeted with a message about the Anti-Theft device needing service? It came on for about 3-4 more car starts. Then after sitting for 2 hours it stayed off. The key fob still works and the alarm beep still happens when the "lock" button is held down. Any ideas why it was complaining? Had to actually check it wasn't broken into when I saw this.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, time for new batteries in the sounder. On mine, I had a local battery center weld pigtails onto the batteries, made soldering the batteries to the board a snap.
Any idea what voltage these batteries run at? And are you saying you just had wires soldered to the battery, then soldered the wires to the board? All within my realm of DIY ;ol;

Also, how long before the alarm starts acting up from when the SID warning happens?

Too bad Saab didn't have the insight to put rechargeable batteries in the car and run a charger from the alternator.

·
Registered
19,183 Posts
I don't know how long... but there have been several stories of alarms going off in the middle of the night, non-stop, when the batteries fail.

Best not to wait :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Any idea what voltage these batteries run at? And are you saying you just had wires soldered to the battery, then soldered the wires to the board? All within my realm of DIY ;ol;

Also, how long before the alarm starts acting up from when the SID warning happens?

Too bad Saab didn't have the insight to put rechargeable batteries in the car and run a charger from the alternator.
I've chosen to have the pigtails spot welded to the batteries rather than solder them.

Much faster and while the momentary heat is much higher, the exceptionally brief time period keeps the heat from effecting the cells.

Soldering uses less heat, but needs much more time, a risky move with batteries.

I've heard that standard (if you can call it that) CR123a's will work rather than the more exotic originals. Same size and voltage (3v).

Since the batteries are used to power the module, I'd honestly expect nothing more than the continuous SID alert if the voltage remains below the threshold. Pretty sure the TWICE does all the logic of the system, the sounder is just that, a noise maker.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing....So far it's only gone off for 15 second sirens..tops. But the message is coming more and more. After reading that long thread on it of 300 pages or something, and being sucked into a timewarp of anti theft talk, I'm pretty sure there's an option to bring it to a tech II and have it disable the alarm. Everything works except there's no alarm siren when someone breaks in your car. Nobody even listens to car alarms these days so that sounds like the easiest idea (stories of battery being replaced and then the same thing happens in a couple years, for example)...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try the alternative battery. If my alarm goes off from someone tinkering with the car it'll definitely get attention so it'll get added to the long list of "To Do's".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts