SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it going straight down the highway. can had been sitting for about a year before I got it and it didn't do this until about 2000 miles of being back in service.

Front tires have lots of tread but are fairly old. Fronts seem wearing OK so far. Put brand new tires on rear to replace bald (but wearing perfect;ol;) old tires.

I guess I'll rotate new to front when I do all brake pads (need all soon).

BUT....my question....will a 1995 Saab 900S 2.3 with 130K granny miles have a bushing, etc that tends to go out that would cause this?

Car corners under power fine so I don't think its CVs.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Can you describe it a bit more? Like do you feel it in the steering wheel, or in the seat, or--?

I found that on my car, any wheel or tire related vibration would be worst at around 110 km/h, which would be between 65 and 70 MPH. At 50 MPH all was fine, generally.

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
240 Posts
Start by having your front wheels balanced. It's amazing what a good balancing job can fix.
++
Had my wheels balanced and the whole car felt like new, in my case the wheels were very badly out of balance.

Also check your wheel bearings, i had mine go bad, there was no looseness or play but they would rattle the whole car.

And if your tires are really old don't get tricked into thinking they're good just because they still have meat on them.
My dad had a michelin tire blow out on both sidewalls while driving on the highway, yet the tire had plenty of thread in it. Turns out old michelins have a bit of a dry rot issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you describe it a bit more? Like do you feel it in the steering wheel, or in the seat, or--?

I found that on my car, any wheel or tire related vibration would be worst at around 110 km/h, which would be between 65 and 70 MPH. At 50 MPH all was fine, generally.

Not "in the steering wheel" or "seat". Feels like whole front end is shuddering as unit. Seems to be getting slowly worse. I think I'll get new tires on front next week to match the rears.

But I guess there isn't any "known issue" with these car's front ends? Steering is fine AFAIK.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'd bet the farm on the wheels being out of balance. Replacing tires will either confirm or eliminate that as the cause. I'd get the front end aligned when they install the new front tires. They should notice any other issues with worn front end items including wheel bearings, tie rod ends, stanchion arm/bushing, control arm (including ball joint and subframe bushing). I'd expect most of these items except for the wheel bearings would also cause some clunking noises. Aside from those items you also have sway bar links, sway bar bushing, struts, springs and strut mounts that can go bad in the region - but not likely to cause only the vibration you have. Also the axle and possibly the intermediate shaft bearing - but you already mentioned that'd likely cause issues under load.

My sons 93 had the exact same issue only at a highway speeds between 65-78MPH. Swapped front tires with one of my lawn ornaments (97 NG900) and the problem disappeared immediately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd bet the farm on the wheels being out of balance. Replacing tires will either confirm or eliminate that as the cause. I'd get the front end aligned when they install the new front tires. They should notice any other issues with worn front end items including wheel bearings, tie rod ends, stanchion arm/bushing, control arm (including ball joint and subframe bushing). I'd expect most of these items except for the wheel bearings would also cause some clunking noises. Aside from those items you also have sway bar links, sway bar bushing, struts, springs and strut mounts that can go bad in the region - but not likely to cause only the vibration you have. Also the axle and possibly the intermediate shaft bearing - but you already mentioned that'd likely cause issues under load.

My sons 93 had the exact same issue only at a highway speeds between 65-78MPH. Swapped front tires with one of my lawn ornaments (97 NG900) and the problem disappeared immediately.

Yep, new tires on front (to match the rears I'd gotten two weeks prior) fixed it.;ol;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts