SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 with 179,000 on it. She runs solid no major issues. She uses oil at a rate of about 1/2 Qt. every 1500-2000 miles and I sometimes get some valve noise at start up or under load. Thus, I was thinking using some of this Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer..

http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/pure-synthetic-oil-stabilizer

Before I do this I would appreciate some feedback/comments with my reason and other Saab owners experience with this stuff.

Much Appreciated.

·
Registered
620 Posts
you are better off fixing your base oil.

simply put if you need additives, you are using the wrong oil.

depending on local weather you can move from 0w40 up to 5w40 or even up to 10w60 if you live in a super hot climate. what oil are you currently using?

for example in Australia i run 5w60 oil (its expensive as hell - ferarri spec) but in winter it is rarely if ever below 5 degrees (celsius) and can easily get to 40 in summer (41 to 104 F). I also have a ~380hp engine that runs hot.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I don't think that rate of oil consumption is a huge concern (are we sure it isn't leaking also?) between the oil vapors being burned off, rather than recycled on the T5 cars and probably aging turbo seals it seems in the normal range for a car of that mileage.

I'd consider dropping the pan, although your car isn't as prone to sludge it can happen and that will restrict oil flow to the lifters.

Also what oil/weight are you using now?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Typically, a slightly heavier weight oil is recommended for higher mileage car. What type and weight of oil are you running now? You might want to consider using a slightly higher weight oil instead of using additives.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typically, a slightly heavier weight oil is recommended for higher mileage car. What type and weight of oil are you running now? You might want to consider using a slightly higher weight oil instead of using additives.
I run Mobile 1 0w40.

I just changed it today. I picked up a quart of Castrol Edge 10w40, which meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec. according to the writeup on the bottle.

Can I top it off, when needed, with the Castrol Edge 10w40? Will adding this heavier oil be "ok"?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes. That is fine. If you're more daring, you can try topping off with with the even heavier Mobil 1 15-50 racing oil.

I've recently switched from Mobil 1 0-40 to Rotella T6 5-40 for one of my cars in search of a heavier oil...

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
I run Mobile 1 0w40.

I just changed it today. I picked up a quart of Castrol Edge 10w40, which meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec. according to the writeup on the bottle.

Can I top it off, when needed, with the Castrol Edge 10w40? Will adding this heavier oil be "ok"?
You may be able to find Castrol Syntec/Edge 5W-40; it's available in Canada, don't know about USA. Also Castrol is now selling a 0W-40 that I hear is available in the USA as well. Both of these are A3/B3 or better, with all the Euro longlife approvals.

My non-turbo has close to 200,000 miles on it. I tried Mobil 0W-40 and found I would sometimes get a momentary bing-bong when I dropped the RPMs too low. I assume that was low oil pressure. I haven't had that ever with the Castrol 5W-40, or even with (Canada-only) Esso XD_3 0W-30 that I decided to use up a couple fo winters ago. I'm going to try the Castrol 0W-40 this winter.

I'd say ixnay on the Lucas additive, get the right oil/viscosity for your car in the first place.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Most of the auto parts stores will carry the Castrol 5w40, but only in qt containers and it's pricey, at almost half the price (more readily available and in gallon jugs) I'd go for Rotella (T6 5W40), it should also help the oil consumption vs. the very thin 0W40 Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I recently found that my local Walmart has 5-qt jugs of German-made Castrol Edge 0-40, but didn't see Castrol Edge 5-40. There is Mobil 1 5-40 Turbodiesel for a little more than Mobil 1 0-40 at my Walmart.

I've also been meaning to try a blend of Mobil 1 0-40 and Mobil 1 15-50...

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
Most of the auto parts stores will carry the Castrol 5w40, but only in qt containers and it's pricey, at almost half the price (more readily available and in gallon jugs) I'd go for Rotella (T6 5W40), it should also help the oil consumption vs. the very thin 0W40 Mobil 1.
It's the other way around in Canada, where Canadian Tire carrys 5 litre jugs of Syntec 0W-40 and 5W-40 which often go on sale for about $35. On the other hand, I have only seen Mobil 0W-40 in litre containers at $12/ea, and they go on sale less often. The selection at Walmart is pretty depressing as far as I've seen, and there are no discount parts chains such as Autozone or Pep Boys.

(You really want to wait for a sale at Canadian Tire. 35% off is not unusual for motor oil. Tools, well, wait for the 50%, 60%, or 70% off. No, we don't have Harbor Freight here.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts