SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I wait untill my SID tells me to change the oil, or should I do it every 10K?
What about all the other maintenance, can I rely on the SID to be accurate?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a calculated thing. but I would go by how you drive your car. Also If your car is a 2003 the calculations seem to be off, for example you could be at 7,000 Miles and still have ~50% oil life on your sid. If your leasing and dont plan on buying it out I'd just do what they reccomend and not worry about it. If you are keeping your car for while and want it to last I'd change it more often. Oil changes are cheap especially compaired to the price of a new engine!
Here is what others have come up with:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111806&highlight=change+sid

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just bought the car, and its a 2003 linear. I'll just go by 10K interval, and follow the owners manual

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 7k and 50% Oil life on an 03, ?The Interval on 03's is set to 15K, but many folks chang Oil at 7.5 even with Synthetic.

Intermediate Services are 15, 45, 75K etc and Main Service is 30, 60, 90K etc. you will get a SID message. It is very rare that the Interval is set incorrectly and it has happened on occaison to all MY's not only the 03.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
robhurlburt said:
Should I wait untill my SID tells me to change the oil, or should I do it every 10K?
What about all the other maintenance, can I rely on the SID to be accurate?
You can use the SID with confidence as I've done for almost 130,000 miles and more than 4 years. You don't have to "over maintain" the car.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Overmaintianing the car is not good for you pocketbook or the environment.

Keep in mind that the algorithm that determines the oil change interval is from GM, and is based on a vast database of their vehicles and millions upon millions of test engine miles. It has been in other GM vehicles since at least 1998, and is in pretty much every model that they make now. It's a proven system.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Excerpt from Saab TSB:

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years.

NOTE: The actual oil condition is NOT measured, only the above calculations performed.

SOURCE; http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I have confidence that the algorithm is correct and not just a dummy light that signals at 15,000 mi (10,000 mi for 2006 and later model years). During an 8 month period, my driving pattern changed to more short trips. During my first year, all the trips were long trips in moderate to hot weather. They are now moderate length trips in moderate weather.

I have been plotting the SID reading with subjective driving patterns, as well as objective odometer readings. It's too complicated. The more I explain, the more looney I seem. Previously, I plotted fuel consumption with octane rating and saw a linear relationship with better fuel economy and higher octane, but the amount is small. It's a bit more than 1% savings comparing 90.1 octane to 93 octane (US octane measurements) with intermediate octane ratings in between.

Anyway, driving mostly long trips resulted in a projected 0% at slightly more than 15,000 mi. and driving mostly short trips has resulted in a projected 0% at slightly over 10,000 mi. before it started to increase (possibly because of longer trips). The minimum interval is 8,000 mi per the manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts