SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my 1988 900 SPG have ABS? I can see an ABS light in the gauges, but I have locked up the brakes before. The light never comes on. Do I have ABS, and its just broken? Or do I not have ABS, just an ABS light? If thats the case, my new question is, what the h*ll?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi there,

If your car has ABS, your brake master will NOT have a vacuum booster,( big blask-ish circular drum behind the master -- aids pedal motion when applying the brakes) and the brake lines will congregate and disperse from a unique looking alloy block just to the front of the LEFT hand wheel arch in the engine bay.

Take A look!;)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
And, my '88 does not have ABS, but it is a convertible -- some of these improvements lagged a year in the convertible.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
eggsngrits said:
And, my '88 does not have ABS, but it is a convertible -- some of these improvements lagged a year in the convertible.
not exactly clasified as an improvement by most. early ABS systems aren't very reliable at all, conventional brakes are more effective at stopping providing the driver knows how to use them and doesn't panic in tight situation, they are also far more reliable. 5 things in a saab that are unreliable: air bag, electric seatbelts, ABS, traction control, and of course the automajic transmission. the a/c system is also terrible but doesn't really effect drivability, just annoys the driver on hot days:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In the US, ABS was introduced mid-year 1989. I doubt that any '88 would have it--my '88 (non-turbo) doesn't.

As for its reliability, when it works it's great--and when it fails, it's expensive:evil:

So far, the ABS in our 1990 900S (160k miles) has given no trouble...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts